Capturing x KeyPress/Release and ButtonPress/Release events - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Capturing x KeyPress/Release and ButtonPress/Release events - Xwindows ; Hey all. Well the Idea is simple I want to record all incoming keyboard and mouse events no matter what window is in focus or where the pointer is. However the system must remain normal to the user. It would ...

  1. Capturing x KeyPress/Release and ButtonPress/Release events

    Hey all.

    Well the Idea is simple I want to record all incoming keyboard
    and mouse events no matter what window is in focus or where the
    pointer is. However the system must remain normal to the user.

    It would be nice if all event could be sent to my app and the one
    it should go to but I can't seem to find a good way to do this.

    any help would be great thanks.

  2. Re: Capturing x KeyPress/Release and ButtonPress/Release events

    In comp.windows.x, Frederick Reeve

    wrote
    on Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:48:55 -0600
    :
    > Hey all.
    >
    > Well the Idea is simple I want to record all incoming keyboard
    > and mouse events no matter what window is in focus or where the
    > pointer is. However the system must remain normal to the user.
    >
    > It would be nice if all event could be sent to my app and the one
    > it should go to but I can't seem to find a good way to do this.
    >
    > any help would be great thanks.

    The only method I can think of offhand guaranteed to work is to
    write an X proxy, and then set up the desktop so that everything
    goes through the proxy (which otherwise looks like a normal
    X server, except for a handling delay).

    Some code should be available for such proxies. I'm not sure
    where to start looking except Xnest, which might be close enough,
    but I know there's at least one "protocol-sniffer" out there
    that is a true transparent proxy (in addition to being a
    dump program).

    Of course this program could be put to, shall we say, less
    ethical uses such as password-stealing. I could see this
    program being useful for testing purposes (I would have
    *loved* to have this capability under certain conditions
    at my previous job) but it's clear that there might be some
    issues here if one modifies, say, /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers,
    on someone else's machine.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  3. Re: Capturing x KeyPress/Release and ButtonPress/Release events

    Frederick Reeve wrote in message news:...
    > Hey all.
    >
    > Well the Idea is simple I want to record all incoming keyboard
    > and mouse events no matter what window is in focus or where the
    > pointer is. However the system must remain normal to the user.
    >
    > It would be nice if all event could be sent to my app and the one
    > it should go to but I can't seem to find a good way to do this.
    >
    > any help would be great thanks.

    You can use the X RECORD extension to do the recording of the
    keypress, key release, button press and and button release events. I
    have been using it for my regression test tool. It can also record
    requests and delivered events - but there seems to be some
    inconsistencies with the request and deliverd events. I haven't seen
    any problems with recording input events.

    There's a gnu program called xnee that uses The RECORD extension as
    well as the test extension for playback and record. You can get it at
    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/xnee/

    Janice Waddick

  4. Re: Capturing x KeyPress/Release and ButtonPress/Release events

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 06:47:17 -0800, Janice Waddick wrote:

    > You can use the X RECORD extension to do the recording of the
    > keypress, key release, button press and and button release events. I
    > have been using it for my regression test tool. It can also record
    > requests and delivered events - but there seems to be some
    > inconsistencies with the request and deliverd events. I haven't seen
    > any problems with recording input events.

    I have settled on using the XTrap extention to x. It works very
    and does now server my purposes. I took a little code from
    Xtrapout and Xtrapin form there it was was not very hard.
    I still have a few questions about the timing system in XTrap
    mainly because it seems there is very little documentation on it.

    > There's a gnu program called xnee that uses The RECORD extension as
    > well as the test extension for playback and record. You can get it at
    > http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/xnee/
    >
    > Janice Waddick

    Thanks for all your help guys.

    Frederick

    --

    Want to email me? remove both dashes from the email address.

+ Reply to Thread