How to set monitor dpi? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on How to set monitor dpi? - Xwindows ; Greetings. I am using SuSE Linux 9.0 with XFree86 4.3.0.1-29 and KDE 3.1.4. Is there any way I can tell X Windows and/or KDE the dot pitch of my monitor (92 dpi) so that programs like gv, OpenOffice.org, kghostview, kdvi, ...

  1. How to set monitor dpi?

    Greetings.

    I am using SuSE Linux 9.0 with XFree86 4.3.0.1-29 and KDE 3.1.4. Is
    there any way I can tell X Windows and/or KDE the dot pitch of my
    monitor (92 dpi) so that programs like gv, OpenOffice.org, kghostview,
    kdvi, etc. will display life-sized images when I set the zoom scaling
    to 100%?

    At the moment it seems I'm able to configure monitor dot pitch only on a
    per-application basis. (For example, Mozilla 1.5 and the Gimp 1.3
    allow one to specify the dot pitch manually.)

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _

  2. Re: How to set monitor dpi?

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:37:17 +0100, Tristan Miller wrote:

    > monitor (92 dpi) so that

    ..... 'man XF86Config' then use the '/' key to search for DPI.
    you should eventually land at:

    DisplaySize width height
    This optional entry gives the width and height, in millimetres,
    of the picture area of the monitor. If given this is used to
    calculate the horizontal and vertical pitch (DPI) of the screen.
    ..
    The Pig, if I am not mistaken,
    Gives us ham and pork and Bacon.
    Let others think his heart is big,
    I think it stupid of the Pig. - Ogden Nash

  3. Re: How to set monitor dpi?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.windows.x.]
    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:37:17 +0100, Tristan Miller staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I am using SuSE Linux 9.0 with XFree86 4.3.0.1-29 and KDE 3.1.4. Is
    > there any way I can tell X Windows and/or KDE the dot pitch of my
    > monitor (92 dpi)

    (Warning: XFree86 specific info, may not hold true for other X
    variants)

    Horizontal resolution (pixels) / 92(pixels/inch) = N
    N * 10 * 2.54 = H (display horizontal size in mm, round up to whole#)

    (repeat for V, display vertical size in mm)

    # in /etc/X11/XF86Config
    Section "Monitor"
    # stuff you shouldn't fiddle with right now
    DisplaySize H V # add this line
    # more stuff you shouldn't fiddle with right now

    ....restart X, see what happens.

    > so that programs like gv, OpenOffice.org, kghostview, kdvi, etc. will
    > display life-sized images when I set the zoom scaling to 100%?

    I don't think this will work quite the way you want it to, but try it
    anyway. The last time I tried setting the dpi to anything other than
    75, I ended up with unreadable fonts in all X applications--but that was
    2 years ago, and things have improved since then.

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  4. Re: How to set monitor dpi?

    In article <12726205.gi36COlmup@ID-187157.news.dfncis.de>,
    Tristan Miller wrote:
    > Greetings.
    >
    > I am using SuSE Linux 9.0 with XFree86 4.3.0.1-29 and KDE 3.1.4. Is
    > there any way I can tell X Windows and/or KDE the dot pitch of my
    > monitor (92 dpi) so that programs like gv, OpenOffice.org, kghostview,
    > kdvi, etc. will display life-sized images when I set the zoom scaling
    > to 100%?

    100% generally means "1 screen pixel <-> 1 image pixel". More screen pixels
    or fewer image pixels or smaller screen => smaller displayed image.

    But anyhow, there's a line in /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4):

    DisplaySize xsize ysize

    where xsize and ysize are in mm (25.4 mm = 1 inch). It goes in the "Monitor"
    section.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN

  5. Re: How to set monitor dpi?

    Tristan Miller wrote:
    > Greetings.

    > I am using SuSE Linux 9.0 with XFree86 4.3.0.1-29 and KDE 3.1.4. Is
    > there any way I can tell X Windows and/or KDE the dot pitch of my
    > monitor (92 dpi) so that programs like gv, OpenOffice.org, kghostview,
    > kdvi, etc. will display life-sized images when I set the zoom scaling
    > to 100%?

    > At the moment it seems I'm able to configure monitor dot pitch only on a
    > per-application basis. (For example, Mozilla 1.5 and the Gimp 1.3
    > allow one to specify the dot pitch manually.)

    This can be done through XF86Config:

    "DisplaySize"

    Try:
    man XF86Config

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

  6. Re: How to set monitor dpi?

    Greetings.

    In article , Hactar wrote:
    >> I am using SuSE Linux 9.0 with XFree86 4.3.0.1-29 and KDE 3.1.4. Is
    >> there any way I can tell X Windows and/or KDE the dot pitch of my
    >> monitor (92 dpi) so that programs like gv, OpenOffice.org,
    >> kghostview, kdvi, etc. will display life-sized images when I set the
    >> zoom scaling to 100%?

    > 100% generally means "1 screen pixel <-> 1 image pixel". More screen
    > pixels or fewer image pixels or smaller screen => smaller displayed
    > image.

    What you say is true for programs which edit screen bitmap images, but
    not when we're talking about applications and file formats whose
    primary output is dead tree. PostScript files generally have a
    built-in paper size or bounding box expressed in real-world units like
    millimetres or inches. "1 screen pixel <-> 1 image pixel" makes
    absolutely no sense when talking about a LaTeX file I'm previewing in
    kdvi; the only relevant comparison is the size of the screen image
    compared to the size of the piece of paper I'm about to print it out
    on. And for that purpose, I want a 100%-zoomed US letter paper image
    to be exactly 8.5 inches (782 pixels) wide on my monitor.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _