xview menus on newer linux - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xview menus on newer linux - Xwindows ; I have to maintain an xview app on linux. It works fine on an older linux system (SuSE 7), on a new system (SuSE 8) the same app (recompiled) has the following problems: Clicking on a menu item from a ...

  1. xview menus on newer linux

    I have to maintain an xview app on linux.

    It works fine on an older linux system (SuSE 7), on a new system (SuSE 8)
    the same app (recompiled) has the following problems:

    Clicking on a menu item from a drop down menu doesn't select the item.
    Tearing the menu off and then clicking on it does.

    Torn off menus no longer stay on top of the application window. On the old
    system the torn off menus stay on top, on the new system the torn off menu
    appears on top, but clicking on the main app window brings it forward on
    top of the menu.

    There are a reasonable number of changes between the two system (clib
    version, compiler version, X version, window manager (KDE) version), so I'm
    not sure where to start looking.

    Has anyone seen this problem before, or could even point me in the most
    likely direction to look for a solution?

    Regards
    Gordon

  2. Re: xview menus on newer linux

    Gordon Keith wrote in message news:...
    > I have to maintain an xview app on linux.
    >
    > It works fine on an older linux system (SuSE 7), on a new system (SuSE 8)
    > the same app (recompiled) has the following problems:
    >
    > Clicking on a menu item from a drop down menu doesn't select the item.
    > Tearing the menu off and then clicking on it does.
    >
    > Torn off menus no longer stay on top of the application window. On the old
    > system the torn off menus stay on top, on the new system the torn off menu
    > appears on top, but clicking on the main app window brings it forward on
    > top of the menu.
    >

    > There are a reasonable number of changes between the two system (clib
    > version, compiler version, X version, window manager (KDE) version), so I'm
    > not sure where to start looking.

    I'd bet my coins on the window manager. Try to run the same application using
    fvwm2 instead of KWM to see the results.

    --- Casantos

  3. Re: xview menus on newer linux

    Carlos A M dos Santos wrote:

    > Gordon Keith wrote in message
    >> I have to maintain an xview app on linux.
    >>
    >> It works fine on an older linux system (SuSE 7), on a new system (SuSE 8)
    >> the same app (recompiled) has the following problems:
    >>
    >> Clicking on a menu item from a drop down menu doesn't select the item.
    >> Tearing the menu off and then clicking on it does.
    >>
    >> Torn off menus no longer stay on top of the application window. On the
    >> old system the torn off menus stay on top, on the new system the torn off
    >> menu appears on top, but clicking on the main app window brings it
    >> forward on top of the menu.
    >>

    >> There are a reasonable number of changes between the two system (clib
    >> version, compiler version, X version, window manager (KDE) version), so
    >> I'm not sure where to start looking.

    > I'd bet my coins on the window manager. Try to run the same application
    > using fvwm2 instead of KWM to see the results.

    I forgot to mention that I've tried it under a number of window managers and
    they all have the problem.

    For what it's worth the app originally ran on solaris and was ported to
    linux a while ago. No problems on solaris 2.5? either.

    Regards
    Gordon

+ Reply to Thread