Locating who is grabbing the mouse... - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Locating who is grabbing the mouse... - Xwindows ; I'm trying to identify a situation where a SPARC Solaris/GNOME metacity user is interacting in an environment with several applications. At certain points, the user's desktop appears to be entering a state where the user can no longer launch new ...

  1. Locating who is grabbing the mouse...

    I'm trying to identify a situation where a SPARC Solaris/GNOME metacity user is
    interacting in an environment with several applications.
    At certain points, the user's desktop appears to be entering a state where
    the user can no longer launch new applications or open window manager menus.
    However, they can do some interaction with the window manager - they
    can move between metacity workspaces, move the keyboard focus into an xterm
    if one is open, and if they kill the metacity process, when gnome-session
    restarts it, the desktop is back to normal.

    I'm trying to figure out what kind of tools might be available to identify
    exactly what is causing this state. My current guess is that some
    application is exerting some sort of grab. However, because the situation
    is sporadic, it is difficult to determine what process - metacity, the
    user's working application, some background process, etc. - might be the
    root of the problem.

    Has anyone developed any tools for tracking down this sort of problem?
    --
    http://wiki.tcl.tk/ > In God we trust.
    http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >

  2. Re: Locating who is grabbing the mouse...

    lvirden@yahoo.com wrote in message news:...
    > I'm trying to identify a situation where a SPARC Solaris/GNOME metacity user is
    > interacting in an environment with several applications.
    > At certain points, the user's desktop appears to be entering a state where
    > the user can no longer launch new applications or open window manager menus.
    > However, they can do some interaction with the window manager - they
    > can move between metacity workspaces, move the keyboard focus into an xterm
    > if one is open, and if they kill the metacity process, when gnome-session
    > restarts it, the desktop is back to normal.
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out what kind of tools might be available to identify
    > exactly what is causing this state. My current guess is that some
    > application is exerting some sort of grab. However, because the situation
    > is sporadic, it is difficult to determine what process - metacity, the
    > user's working application, some background process, etc. - might be the
    > root of the problem.
    >
    > Has anyone developed any tools for tracking down this sort of problem?

    You should be able to confirm that the server got a GrabPointer with
    xmon. But I'm not sure if/how you can find out who sent the
    GrabPointer request - it does mention grab-window but I don't know
    enough about X11 to know how to relate that back to the application.

    Sample output from xmon:
    ............REQUEST: GrabPointer
    sequence number: 0049
    owner-events: False
    request length: 0006
    grab-window: WIN 02800004
    event-mask: PointerMotionHint | Button5Motion
    pointer-mode: Synchronous
    keyboard-mode: Asynchronous
    confine-to: WIN 02800004
    cursor: None