Email "supposedly" from MS - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Email "supposedly" from MS - Xwindows ; For the past two weeks I have been receiving emails referring to various MS updates and referencing undeliverable email. They are obviously NOT from MS and just keep on coming in - So far today I've received approx two dozen. ...

  1. Email "supposedly" from MS

    For the past two weeks I have been receiving emails referring to various
    MS updates and referencing undeliverable email. They are obviously
    NOT from MS and just keep on coming in - So far today I've received
    approx two dozen. Anyone know where these are coming from or how to stop
    them?

    Doug J

  2. Re: Email "supposedly" from MS

    In comp.windows.x, Doug Johnson

    wrote
    on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:13:55 -0500
    :
    > For the past two weeks I have been receiving emails referring to various
    > MS updates and referencing undeliverable email. They are obviously
    > NOT from MS and just keep on coming in - So far today I've received
    > approx two dozen. Anyone know where these are coming from or how to stop
    > them?
    >
    > Doug J

    Wrong newsgroup, as this is for X Windows, not Windows XP.
    However, the short answer is "not that I know of"; you are
    being attacked by a virus variant which is masquerading as
    an upgrade E-mail. (The tipoff is that Microsoft never
    sends updates via E-mail; one has to either use a Website
    or an update service provided through Windows.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  3. Re: Email "supposedly" from MS

    As "The Ghost" alluded to, not a microsoft newsgroup.

    However, I have also been a victim of these emails for months now, and had
    to change my email address. That's the best solution. The emails come from
    various servers, and my ISP was unable to block them.

    You can also put a filter to delete emails with "MS" in the subject or such.

    Good luck.

    "Doug Johnson" wrote in message
    > For the past two weeks I have been receiving emails referring to various
    > MS updates and referencing undeliverable email. They are obviously
    > NOT from MS and just keep on coming in - So far today I've received
    > approx two dozen. Anyone know where these are coming from or how to stop
    > them?
    >
    > Doug J

  4. Re: Email "supposedly" from MS

    > You can also put a filter to delete emails with "MS" in the subject or

    such.

    Probably a good thing to do anyway as a matter of course ;-)

+ Reply to Thread