debian, cygwin, xfree - Xwindows

This is a discussion on debian, cygwin, xfree - Xwindows ; Hi all, after being convinced that xhost is a bad solution I'm trying to get X over ssh. My configuration is a Debian Woody box and a WinXP Pro Laptop with Cygwin installed. I got following in my /etc/ssh/sshd_config on ...

  1. debian, cygwin, xfree

    Hi all,

    after being convinced that xhost is a bad solution I'm trying to get X
    over ssh. My configuration is a Debian Woody box and a WinXP Pro Laptop
    with Cygwin installed.

    I got following in my /etc/ssh/sshd_config on my Debian box:

    X11Forwarding yes
    AllowTcpForwarding yes

    and in /etc/ssh_config on my Laptop:

    FowardX11 yes

    As far as I understood DISPLAY should get set automtically, but it
    doesn't. If I log in (ssh debian) and start xcalc for example I get
    Error: Can't open display:

    The only way I can use it is to use xhost and set DISPLAY manually, but
    that's not what I want because it's not secure and anoying.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Regards,
    Oliver

  2. Re: debian, cygwin, xfree

    In article ,
    Oliver Vecernik writes:

    > I got following in my /etc/ssh/sshd_config on my Debian box:
    >
    > X11Forwarding yes
    > AllowTcpForwarding yes
    >
    > and in /etc/ssh_config on my Laptop:
    >
    > FowardX11 yes
    >
    > As far as I understood DISPLAY should get set automtically, but it
    > doesn't. If I log in (ssh debian) and start xcalc for example I get
    > Error: Can't open display:

    DISPLAY must be set in the Cygwin bash shell before you "ssh". If that's
    not it, try to "ssh" with "-X -v", and see what kind of errors you get.

    --
    Frederick

  3. Re: debian, cygwin, xfree

    Frederick Bruckman schrieb:

    > DISPLAY must be set in the Cygwin bash shell before you "ssh". If that's
    > not it, try to "ssh" with "-X -v", and see what kind of errors you get.

    Hi Frederick!

    That exactly was the problem. Thank you for your hint!

    Regards,
    Oliver

+ Reply to Thread