help needed with error message - Xwindows

This is a discussion on help needed with error message - Xwindows ; I'm running an X app from a Dec Alpha machine and displaying it on a Sun Solaris 8 box X11R6. Any tips? Thanks, Frank ===================== The error message I get is: X Error of failed request: BadValue(integer parameter out of ...

  1. help needed with error message

    I'm running an X app from a Dec Alpha machine and displaying it on a Sun
    Solaris 8 box X11R6.

    Any tips?

    Thanks, Frank
    =====================

    The error message I get is:
    X Error of failed request: BadValue(integer parameter out of range of
    operation)

    Major opcode of failed request: (78 X_CreateColormap)

    Value in failed request: 0x0

    Serial number of failed request: 165

    Current serial number in output stream: 167]

  2. Re: help needed with error message

    In article ,
    "Frank" writes:
    >I'm running an X app from a Dec Alpha machine and displaying it on a Sun
    >Solaris 8 box X11R6.
    >
    >Any tips?
    >
    >Thanks, Frank
    >=====================
    >
    >The error message I get is:
    >X Error of failed request: BadValue(integer parameter out of range of
    >operation)
    >
    >Major opcode of failed request: (78 X_CreateColormap)
    >
    >Value in failed request: 0x0
    >
    >Serial number of failed request: 165
    >
    >Current serial number in output stream: 167]

    It sounds like the application isn't paying attention to the color
    model of the X server on the Sun box.

    Brian V. Smith (bXvXsXmXiXtXh@lbl.gov) (remove the Xs to send me email)
    Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
    I don't speak for LBNL - they don't pay me enough for that.
    Check out the xfig site at http://epb.lbl.gov/xfig or http://www.xfig.org

  3. Re: help needed with error message

    Suggestions on how I debug this?

    Thanks,
    Frank

    "Brian V. Smith" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Frank" writes:
    > >I'm running an X app from a Dec Alpha machine and displaying it on a Sun
    > >Solaris 8 box X11R6.
    > >
    > >Any tips?
    > >
    > >Thanks, Frank
    > >=====================
    > >
    > >The error message I get is:
    > >X Error of failed request: BadValue(integer parameter out of range of
    > >operation)
    > >
    > >Major opcode of failed request: (78 X_CreateColormap)
    > >
    > >Value in failed request: 0x0
    > >
    > >Serial number of failed request: 165
    > >
    > >Current serial number in output stream: 167]

    > It sounds like the application isn't paying attention to the color
    > model of the X server on the Sun box.
    >
    > --
    > Brian V. Smith (bXvXsXmXiXtXh@lbl.gov) (remove the Xs to send me email)
    > Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
    > I don't speak for LBNL - they don't pay me enough for that.
    > Check out the xfig site at http://epb.lbl.gov/xfig or http://www.xfig.org

  4. Re: help needed with error message

    "Frank" wrote in news:bobfao$8f5@netnews.proxy.lucent.com:
    > The error message I get is:
    > X Error of failed request: BadValue(integer parameter out of range of
    > operation)

    My web site has a copy of my tutorial on debugging X protocol error messages.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton

  5. Re: help needed with error message

    Frank wrote:

    > Suggestions on how I debug this?

    Look at what xdpyinfo (the command line program) tells you on both
    displays. My guess is that the application makes an assumption about
    the display depth or the default visual or something similar but that
    assumption doesn't hold for the Sun display.

    For example, if the DEC display is 8 bit with the default visual being
    pseudocolor and the Sun display is 24bit true color the app has to be
    smart enough to recognize the difference if it is allocating colors.

    If you have the code look at where it call XCreateColormap(). If you
    don't contact the developers. If you can't do both I can only suffest
    that you configure the Sun display to match that of the DEC, if possible.

    -- ced

    > Thanks,
    > Frank
    >
    > "Brian V. Smith" wrote in message
    >
    >>In article ,
    >> "Frank" writes:
    >>
    >>>I'm running an X app from a Dec Alpha machine and displaying it on a Sun
    >>>Solaris 8 box X11R6.
    >>>
    >>>Any tips?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks, Frank
    >>>=====================
    >>>
    >>>The error message I get is:
    >>>X Error of failed request: BadValue(integer parameter out of range of
    >>>operation)
    >>>
    >>>Major opcode of failed request: (78 X_CreateColormap)
    >>>
    >>>Value in failed request: 0x0
    >>>
    >>>Serial number of failed request: 165
    >>>
    >>>Current serial number in output stream: 167]

    >>It sounds like the application isn't paying attention to the color
    >>model of the X server on the Sun box.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Brian V. Smith (bXvXsXmXiXtXh@lbl.gov) (remove the Xs to send me email)
    >>Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
    >>I don't speak for LBNL - they don't pay me enough for that.
    >>Check out the xfig site at http://epb.lbl.gov/xfig or http://www.xfig.org

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer

  6. Re: help needed with error message

    In comp.windows.x, Frank

    wrote
    on Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:25:27 -0500
    :
    > I'm running an X app from a Dec Alpha machine and displaying it on a Sun
    > Solaris 8 box X11R6.
    >
    > Any tips?

    Some general tips.

    [1] extern int _Xdebug;

    int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    _Xdebug = 1;
    }

    You can then run a debugger and find the line that's failing.
    X otherwise tends to batch things, to improve performance.

    [2] Somewhere, you're trying to create a color map; the
    create is failing. (Most likely, it's because you're in
    a TrueColor visual; TrueColor doesn't like colormaps,
    except perhaps the single system one. However, absent more
    informaton that's just a wild guess.)

    > Thanks, Frank
    >=====================
    >
    > The error message I get is:
    > X Error of failed request: BadValue(integer parameter out of range of
    > operation)
    >
    > Major opcode of failed request: (78 X_CreateColormap)
    >
    > Value in failed request: 0x0
    >
    > Serial number of failed request: 165
    >
    > Current serial number in output stream: 167]

    Good luck. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

+ Reply to Thread