Motif/lesstif - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Motif/lesstif - Xwindows ; Hi, I've been writing an app in GTK2+ and might convert to motif/lesstif. Are there any active email lists on motif? The ones i've tried are empty. Is lesstif actively maintained? (their list is also dead) Is motif the most ...

  1. Motif/lesstif

    Hi,
    I've been writing an app in GTK2+ and might convert to motif/lesstif.
    Are there any active email lists on motif? The ones i've tried are
    empty. Is lesstif actively maintained? (their list is also dead)
    Is motif the most popular commercial unix widget kit?

  2. Re: Motif/lesstif

    Russell Shaw wrote in news:62mh71-fq2.ln1
    @main.anatron.com.au:
    > I've been writing an app in GTK2+ and might convert to motif/lesstif.
    > Are there any active email lists on motif? The ones i've tried are
    > empty. Is lesstif actively maintained? (their list is also dead)
    > Is motif the most popular commercial unix widget kit?

    Yes, Motif is the most popular GUI for commercial UNIX systems (Sun, SGI,
    etc.). If you have specific questions, you could ask them here. If you have
    a service contract with your computer vendor, you can usually send them
    software questions as well.

    Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

  3. Re: Motif/lesstif

    Russell Shaw wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've been writing an app in GTK2+ and might convert to motif/lesstif.

    It would be extremely interesting to know your motivation for such
    convertion. I am in no way discouraging you to convert, though, quite
    vice versa.

    > Are there any active email lists on motif?

    This newsgroup (comp.windows.x.motif) is a good place for asking
    questions. But Motif is so extremely well documented that usually one
    can easily find the answer to her question from online documentation
    and/or googling. There are some tutorials/books available for free
    download, too.

    > Is motif the most popular commercial unix widget kit?

    Good question, actually. How would you measure popularity? But anyway,
    apart from Open Source operating systems I am not aware of any
    commercial Unix variant which would not use some Motif-based GUI as a
    default desktop. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

    Regards,

    Dmitri Vorobiev

+ Reply to Thread