Disabling Virtual Resolution - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Disabling Virtual Resolution - Xwindows ; From /etc/X11/XF86Config Section "Screen" Identifier "Screen0" Device "Card0" Monitor "Monitor0" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Depth 16 Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 24 Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768" EndSubSection EndSection Ok this is the setup I am using for ...

  1. Disabling Virtual Resolution

    From /etc/X11/XF86Config

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Ok this is the setup I am using for my screen section in X Windows
    Config. I want to disable Virtual Resolution in all 3 modes. I tried
    looking for documentation through google. Also read numerous bulletin
    boards and read the XF86Config documentation on xfree.org. I must have
    missed something, the closest thing I found was the virtual option. But
    the virtual option won't let you have a desktop resolution greater than
    what you specify. Then I am stuck with one mode, this is most certainly
    not what I want. So I just want the ability to switch from 640x480
    800x600 and 1024x768 without the screen scrolling all over the place.

    Can anyone point me to some information or give some tips on disabling
    virtual resolution?
    --
    Eric Wolfe
    Concord College

    Public key:
    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?...rch=0xBF6723B0

    Any two philosophers can tell each other all they know in two hours.
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

  2. Re: Disabling Virtual Resolution

    x-no-archive: yes

    Eric G. Wolfe escribió:
    > From /etc/X11/XF86Config
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "Screen0"
    > Device "Card0"
    > Monitor "Monitor0"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 16
    > Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768"
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768"
    > EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    >
    > Ok this is the setup I am using for my screen section in X Windows
    > Config. I want to disable Virtual Resolution in all 3 modes. I tried
    > looking for documentation through google. Also read numerous bulletin
    > boards and read the XF86Config documentation on xfree.org. I must have
    > missed something, the closest thing I found was the virtual option. But
    > the virtual option won't let you have a desktop resolution greater than
    > what you specify. Then I am stuck with one mode, this is most certainly
    > not what I want. So I just want the ability to switch from 640x480
    > 800x600 and 1024x768 without the screen scrolling all over the place.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to some information or give some tips on disabling
    > virtual resolution?

    Probably some of the gurus here knows better, but I'm afraid that the X Window
    System doesn't allow changing the resolution or the bit depth of the root window.

    --
    To reach me by email: trasform my account name like IBM -> HAL.

  3. Re: Disabling Virtual Resolution

    >> Ok this is the setup I am using for my screen section in X Windows
    >> Config. I want to disable Virtual Resolution in all 3 modes. I tried
    >> looking for documentation through google. Also read numerous bulletin
    >> boards and read the XF86Config documentation on xfree.org. I must
    >> have missed something, the closest thing I found was the virtual
    >> option. But the virtual option won't let you have a desktop
    >> resolution greater than what you specify. Then I am stuck with one
    >> mode, this is most certainly not what I want. So I just want the
    >> ability to switch from 640x480 800x600 and 1024x768 without the screen
    >> scrolling all over the place.
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me to some information or give some tips on disabling
    >> virtual resolution?

    > Probably some of the gurus here knows better, but I'm afraid that the X
    > Window
    > System doesn't allow changing the resolution or the bit depth of the
    > root window.

    I am not trying to change resolution or bit depth, I am trying to turn
    off a feature. You could change the resolution manually with a utility
    like xrandr. Also you can change the bit depth when you start X windows
    up with a command such as startx -- -bpp 16.

    I must not have stated my problem correctly, I apologize. What I want
    to do is be able to switch modes with the sequence
    and not have a virtual resolution of 1024x768 while in the 800x600 or
    640x480 mode. When you do this you have a virtual desktop of the
    highest resolution on your Modes line. The screen pans wherever the
    mouse goes.
    I would like to turn this off, but I cannot find anyway to do this
    other than just specifying one mode on the line by itself.

    For example: Modes "800x600"

    I don't want to do this, because I will not have the convenience of
    cycling through modes with the aforementioned key sequence.

    Isn't there some way to do this? Any help would certainly be appreciated.

    --
    Eric Wolfe
    Concord College
    Math/CIS Student

    Public key:
    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?...rch=0xBF6723B0

    Any two philosophers can tell each other all they know in two hours.
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

  4. Re: Disabling Virtual Resolution

    Eric G. Wolfe escribió:
    >>> Ok this is the setup I am using for my screen section in X Windows
    >>> Config. I want to disable Virtual Resolution in all 3 modes. I
    >>> tried looking for documentation through google. Also read numerous
    >>> bulletin boards and read the XF86Config documentation on xfree.org.
    >>> I must have missed something, the closest thing I found was the
    >>> virtual option. But the virtual option won't let you have a desktop
    >>> resolution greater than what you specify. Then I am stuck with one
    >>> mode, this is most certainly not what I want. So I just want the
    >>> ability to switch from 640x480 800x600 and 1024x768 without the
    >>> screen scrolling all over the place.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone point me to some information or give some tips on
    >>> disabling virtual resolution?

    >> Probably some of the gurus here knows better, but I'm afraid that the
    >> X Window
    >> System doesn't allow changing the resolution or the bit depth of the
    >> root window.
    >>

    > I am not trying to change resolution or bit depth, I am trying to
    > turn off a feature. You could change the resolution manually with a
    > utility like xrandr. Also you can change the bit depth when you start X
    > windows up with a command such as startx -- -bpp 16.
    >
    > I must not have stated my problem correctly, I apologize. What I
    > want to do is be able to switch modes with the
    > sequence and not have a virtual resolution of 1024x768 while in the
    > 800x600 or 640x480 mode. When you do this you have a virtual desktop of
    > the highest resolution on your Modes line. The screen pans wherever the
    > mouse goes.
    > I would like to turn this off, but I cannot find anyway to do this
    > other than just specifying one mode on the line by itself.
    >
    > For example: Modes "800x600"
    >
    > I don't want to do this, because I will not have the convenience of
    > cycling through modes with the aforementioned key sequence.
    >
    > Isn't there some way to do this? Any help would certainly be appreciated.

    That's equivalent to changing the resolution of the root window dynamically (which
    is what I was referring to in my previous answer). I think you can't do that in
    the X Window System - if you start it in 1024x768, the root window will always be
    that resolution, even if you change the screen's resolution - that's why you can
    pan the viewing area with the mouse. If you disable panning, then some part of the
    screen real estate will become unavailable.
    Idem for bit depth, you can't change the 'desktop' bit depth once the system is
    initialised (but you can have windows with different bit depth simultaneously on
    the screen in some systems like Suns, SGIs, HPs or some gfx cards on PCs, like
    Matrox).
    You can, however, have a 'true' resolution/bit depth change if using a
    non-standard extension in XFree86's X servers, called DGA 2.0, but that's mostly
    useful for games. Maybe that will be suitable for your application, but it won't
    work with X servers from other brands.
    Anyway, take this with a grain of salt - I'm not an X expert, just speaking out
    of experience.

    --
    To reach me by email: trasform my account name like IBM -> HAL.

  5. Re: Disabling Virtual Resolution

  6. Re: Disabling Virtual Resolution

    In comp.windows.x, neoholistic

    wrote
    on Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:50:44 +0100
    :
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Eric G. Wolfe escribió:
    >> From /etc/X11/XF86Config
    >>
    >> Section "Screen"
    >> Identifier "Screen0"
    >> Device "Card0"
    >> Monitor "Monitor0"
    >> DefaultDepth 24
    >> SubSection "Display"
    >> Depth 16
    >> Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768"
    >> EndSubSection
    >> SubSection "Display"
    >> Depth 24
    >> Modes "800x600" "640x480" "1024x768"
    >> EndSubSection
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> Ok this is the setup I am using for my screen section in X Windows
    >> Config. I want to disable Virtual Resolution in all 3 modes. I tried
    >> looking for documentation through google. Also read numerous bulletin
    >> boards and read the XF86Config documentation on xfree.org. I must have
    >> missed something, the closest thing I found was the virtual option. But
    >> the virtual option won't let you have a desktop resolution greater than
    >> what you specify. Then I am stuck with one mode, this is most certainly
    >> not what I want. So I just want the ability to switch from 640x480
    >> 800x600 and 1024x768 without the screen scrolling all over the place.
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me to some information or give some tips on disabling
    >> virtual resolution?

    > Probably some of the gurus here knows better, but I'm afraid that the
    > X Window System doesn't allow changing the resolution or the bit depth
    > of the root window.

    XFree86 4.3 might fix that, from what I've heard. I don't have 4.3
    so can't say for sure. I would hope 4.3 also allows for the changing
    of pixel resolution without a virtual scrolling screenport. Of
    course everything will have to resize/refresh, which suggests an
    extension handled by the window manager.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

+ Reply to Thread