want Exceed to reconnect to Xsession, as VNC does - Xwindows

This is a discussion on want Exceed to reconnect to Xsession, as VNC does - Xwindows ; Scenario: I start an Exceed client in XDCMP-Query mode and set host to my remote AIX box. I start an X server on an AIX box (/usr/bin/dt/Xsession) and the X session pops up on my Exceed client (on Win2k). All ...

  1. want Exceed to reconnect to Xsession, as VNC does

    Scenario: I start an Exceed client in XDCMP-Query mode and set host to my
    remote AIX box. I start an X server on an AIX box (/usr/bin/dt/Xsession)
    and the X session pops up on my Exceed client (on Win2k). All OK. But now
    if I close the Exceed client, the Xsession on the AIX box dies too.

    Question: is there any way to keep the Xsession running on the AIX box,
    so I can reconnect to it with Exceed later and continue working where I
    left off. I can do this with VNC, but the graphic response over cable
    modem (I'm using Cadence design software, BTW) is much faster with Exceed
    than VNC (presumably because VNC is geared to work on all platforms,
    whereas Exceed is optimized for X-windows and Windoze)

  2. Re: want Exceed to reconnect to Xsession, as VNC does

    Rachel Smith wrote:
    > Scenario: I start an Exceed client in XDCMP-Query mode and set host to my

    Actually, you start an Exceed X _server_ on your Win2K system

    > remote AIX box. I start an X server on an AIX box (/usr/bin/dt/Xsession)

    and start an X _client application_ (through the Xsession script) on AIX

    > and the X session pops up on my Exceed client (on Win2k).

    the Xsession-started _client applications_ display on the Exceed _server_ on Win2k

    > All OK. But now
    > if I close the Exceed client, the Xsession on the AIX box dies too.

    But, when you close the Exceed _server_, the Xsession _clients_ don't have any
    place to display to, and they die.

    Now, rephrase your question in the light of the above facts.

    [snip]

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training