X-Windows server on win32 crashes - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X-Windows server on win32 crashes - Xwindows ; Every Win32 X-server I've tried has the following problem: when the network connection between it and the Linux host exporting the display (connected to via xdmcp + gdm|xdm|kdm|whatever) drops for just a few seconds the X server crashes and all ...

  1. X-Windows server on win32 crashes

    Every Win32 X-server I've tried has the following problem: when the network
    connection between it and the Linux host exporting the display (connected to
    via xdmcp + gdm|xdm|kdm|whatever) drops for just a few seconds the X server
    crashes and all the clients obviously die too. This is not a problem
    if I'm connecting to a remote server from a Linux machine (i.e. XFree86
    -broadcast or XFree86 -query). The network can go down briefly, everything
    is completely unresponsive, and then it comes back alive when the network
    comes back up.

    The windows machines I'm trying this from are all Windowx XP Pro. The
    X servers I've tried are Exceed's, X-Win32 and Cygwin's XFree86 port XWin.

    Thanks if anyone has any pointers. I need this to work because my
    engineers find it unacceptable that a brief network glitch will kill their
    session.

    --
    john

  2. Re: X-Windows server on win32 crashes

    John Newman wrote:
    > Every Win32 X-server I've tried has the following problem: when the network
    > connection between it and the Linux host exporting the display (connected to
    > via xdmcp + gdm|xdm|kdm|whatever) drops for just a few seconds the X server
    > crashes and all the clients obviously die too. This is not a problem
    > if I'm connecting to a remote server from a Linux machine (i.e. XFree86
    > -broadcast or XFree86 -query). The network can go down briefly, everything
    > is completely unresponsive, and then it comes back alive when the network
    > comes back up.
    >
    > The windows machines I'm trying this from are all Windowx XP Pro. The
    > X servers I've tried are Exceed's, X-Win32 and Cygwin's XFree86 port XWin.
    >
    > Thanks if anyone has any pointers. I need this to work because my
    > engineers find it unacceptable that a brief network glitch will kill their
    > session.

    From a posting to the exceed user group
    (http://www.hummingbird.com/exceedusers/index.html) ...

    Hello,
    Slow or short loss of network connections tend to drop X clients. If there
    is a prolonged delay in the transmission of packets, MS TCP will
    timeout and
    close the connection. This results in Exceed's X windows either dropping or
    "hung" on the screen

    Taken from the Windows 95 Resource Kit:

    Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\MSTCP

    MaxDataRetries = 32-bit number (This value is to be added to the Parameters
    key)

    Specifies the maximum number of times a segment carrying data or an FIN
    will
    be retransmitted before the connection is aborted. The retransmission
    timeout itself is adaptive and will vary according to link conditions. The
    default is 5.

    You will have to experiment with this number to get the best results. Start
    with 10 and increase the value until the X app is able to recover without
    hanging or dropping connection.

    Thanks,

    Anna Nagorny
    Research & Development Support
    Hummingbird Communications LTD
    Tel: (416) 496-2200 Ext. 2342
    Fax: (416) 496-7624
    Email: anna@hcl.com
    Web Site: www.hummingbird.com
    Anonymous FTP: ftp.hcl.com

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer

  3. Re: X-Windows server on win32 crashes

    John Newman writes:
    > Thanks if anyone has any pointers. I need this to work because my
    > engineers find it unacceptable that a brief network glitch will
    > kill their session.

    You can sidestep the problem by running a VNC server on a *nix box and
    running VNC clients. Even after rebooting my W2K PC I can resume my X
    session hosted on a Linux server.
    --
    Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
    WesternGeco -./\.- by myself and does not represent

+ Reply to Thread