Computer Problem - Lots of Freezes - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Computer Problem - Lots of Freezes - Xwindows ; I have an AMD Athlon 1333 MHz, with 768 MB DDR memory. Once in a while (about once or twice a week), my computer just stops, making a high-pitched squeaking noise from either the speakers, or the processor itself. Well, ...

  1. Computer Problem - Lots of Freezes

    I have an AMD Athlon 1333 MHz, with 768 MB DDR memory.

    Once in a while (about once or twice a week), my computer just stops,
    making a high-pitched squeaking noise from either the speakers, or the
    processor itself. Well, it doesn't stop right away; instead, it
    squeaks for about 10-20 seconds (time, where I assume the CPU is
    tapping into the SWP hard drive memory file), and then it just stops,
    with a frozen picture on the monitor.

    This problem happens extremely often when I run a more complicated
    application on my computer. It happens often while playing a
    high-performance computer game, and occasionally, while running a
    large java or flash applet/animation.

    I suppose this has something to do with a failure to dump the stored
    memory in the RAM, but I'm not sure. Can anybody provide any insight
    into this, or can anybody help me solve the problem with my computer?

  2. Re: Computer Problem - Lots of Freezes

    cairo140@hotmail.com (Steven Xu) writes:

    > I have an AMD Athlon 1333 MHz, with 768 MB DDR memory.
    >
    > Once in a while (about once or twice a week), my computer just stops,

    This doesn't say it's a Microsoft Windows question, but it probably is one
    anyway.

    This newsgroup is dedicated to discussing the X11 Window System, which
    likely has nothing to do with your problem. Please take it to a news-
    group which is more suited to the problem at hand.

    I have to suggest running Memtest86 (www.memtest86.org) on your computer.
    It may be a hardware problem. Hardware problems are off topic in this
    newsgroup, too (insofar as they don't concern the X11 Window System).

    File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.

+ Reply to Thread