Activation of a pushbutton in a popup menu using only button 3 is not possible. - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Activation of a pushbutton in a popup menu using only button 3 is not possible. - Xwindows ; If I run my Sparc Solaris application (Solaris 8) with the display set to my Red Hat 9 box (running any WM) I am not able to access the popup menues. I have to hold down button 3 (the popup ...

  1. Activation of a pushbutton in a popup menu using only button 3 is not possible.

    If I run my Sparc Solaris application (Solaris 8) with the display set to my
    Red Hat 9 box (running any WM) I am not able to access the popup menues.
    I have to hold down button 3 (the popup menu appears), move to the desired
    pushbutton and press button 1 to get the desired effect. On native Solaris
    I can just push button 3, move and release button 3 to XmNactivateCallback.

    Something similar happens with Netscape:

    1. Start Netscape 4.x on a Solaris machine with display redirected to the
    RH9 box.
    2. Load a page.
    3. Press button 3 inside the rendered page.
    4. Select "View Page Info"
    5. Release button 3.

    Normally this should pop up the "Page Info" window. However, running
    remotely (Solaris -> Linux) this results in nothing. The strange part is
    that this behaves correctly if I run remotely from one Linux box to another
    (or Solaris->Solaris for that matter).

    Could it be a X-protocol error on one of the parts (X11R6 vs. XFree86)?
    Or is there anything else which I'm not thinking about?

    -Frode

    --
    ^ Frode TennebÝ | email: Frode.Tennebo@eto.ericsson.se ^
    | Ericsson AS., N-1788 Halden | Phone: +47 67 25 09 39 |

  2. Re: Activation of a pushbutton in a popup menu using only button 3 is not possible.

    In comp.windows.x, Frode Tenneboe

    wrote
    on Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:10:16 +0000 (UTC)
    <1066633873.654254@edh3>:

    > If I run my Sparc Solaris application (Solaris 8) with the display set to my
    > Red Hat 9 box (running any WM) I am not able to access the popup menues.
    > I have to hold down button 3 (the popup menu appears), move to the desired
    > pushbutton and press button 1 to get the desired effect. On native Solaris
    > I can just push button 3, move and release button 3 to XmNactivateCallback.
    >
    > Something similar happens with Netscape:
    >
    > 1. Start Netscape 4.x on a Solaris machine with display redirected to the
    > RH9 box.
    > 2. Load a page.
    > 3. Press button 3 inside the rendered page.
    > 4. Select "View Page Info"
    > 5. Release button 3.
    >
    > Normally this should pop up the "Page Info" window. However, running
    > remotely (Solaris -> Linux) this results in nothing. The strange part is
    > that this behaves correctly if I run remotely from one Linux box to another
    > (or Solaris->Solaris for that matter).
    >
    > Could it be a X-protocol error on one of the parts (X11R6 vs. XFree86)?
    > Or is there anything else which I'm not thinking about?
    >
    > -Frode

    Have you tried pressing and then releasing in any order
    the left and right Shift, Ctrl, Alt, and Meta keys?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  3. Re: Activation of a pushbutton in a popup menu using only button 3 is not possible.

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.windows.x, Frode Tenneboe wrote
    > on Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:10:16 +0000 (UTC) <1066633873.654254@edh3>:
    >>
    >> If I run my Sparc Solaris application (Solaris 8) with the display set to my
    >> Red Hat 9 box (running any WM) I am not able to access the popup menues.
    >> I have to hold down button 3 (the popup menu appears), move to the desired
    >> pushbutton and press button 1 to get the desired effect. On native Solaris
    >> I can just push button 3, move and release button 3 to XmNactivateCallback.

    [snip]

    > Have you tried pressing and then releasing in any order
    > the left and right Shift, Ctrl, Alt, and Meta keys?

    No. In what context? Why should that help?

    -Frode

    --
    ^ Frode TennebÝ | email: Frode.Tennebo@eto.ericsson.se ^
    | Ericsson AS., N-1788 Halden | Phone: +47 67 25 09 39 |
    | with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer; |

  4. Re: Activation of a pushbutton in a popup menu using only button 3 is not possible.

    In comp.windows.x, Frode Tenneboe

    wrote
    on Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:24:39 +0000 (UTC)
    <1066724737.164539@edh3>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.windows.x, Frode Tenneboe wrote
    >> on Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:10:16 +0000 (UTC) <1066633873.654254@edh3>:
    >>>
    >>> If I run my Sparc Solaris application (Solaris 8) with the display set to my
    >>> Red Hat 9 box (running any WM) I am not able to access the popup menues.
    >>> I have to hold down button 3 (the popup menu appears), move to the desired
    >>> pushbutton and press button 1 to get the desired effect. On native Solaris
    >>> I can just push button 3, move and release button 3 to XmNactivateCallback.

    > [snip]
    >
    >> Have you tried pressing and then releasing in any order
    >> the left and right Shift, Ctrl, Alt, and Meta keys?

    > No. In what context? Why should that help?

    Well, occasionally the X server gets in a state where it
    thinks one of the modifier keys is depressed. Depressing
    it again will reset this bit and maybe make it work a
    bit better.

    It was worth a shot. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

  5. Re: Activation of a pushbutton in a popup menu using only button 3 is not possible.

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Well, occasionally the X server gets in a state where it
    > thinks one of the modifier keys is depressed. Depressing
    > it again will reset this bit and maybe make it work a
    > bit better.

    OK, thanks. But my problem is not a single episode or anything. I
    think This is related to how the X-servers interact or how the
    Motif libraries react to stimuli.

    But I can't figure out what.

    -Frode

    --
    ^ Frode TennebÝ | email: Frode.Tennebo@ericsson.com ^
    | Ericsson AS., N-1788 Halden | Phone: +47 67 25 09 39 |
    | with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer; |

+ Reply to Thread