Menu bar on xterms? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Menu bar on xterms? - Xwindows ; I don't see any way to add a menu bar to an xterm window (which would, for example, have options like "File", "Options", "Help" etc.). I find it difficult to believe that there is no easy way to provide that. ...

  1. Menu bar on xterms?

    I don't see any way to add a menu bar to an xterm window (which would,
    for example, have options like "File", "Options", "Help" etc.). I
    find it difficult to believe that there is no easy way to provide
    that. Kindly suggest a way out. Please realize that I am talking
    about a menu bar and NOT the title bar.

    Regards,
    Nimmi

  2. Re: Menu bar on xterms?

    Nimmi Srivastav wrote:
    > I don't see any way to add a menu bar to an xterm window (which would,
    > for example, have options like "File", "Options", "Help" etc.). I
    > find it difficult to believe that there is no easy way to provide
    > that. Kindly suggest a way out. Please realize that I am talking
    > about a menu bar and NOT the title bar.

    that would be done by an application running in the xterm.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  3. Re: Menu bar on xterms?

    nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com (Nimmi Srivastav) writes:

    > I don't see any way to add a menu bar to an xterm window (which would,
    > for example, have options like "File", "Options", "Help" etc.). I
    > find it difficult to believe that there is no easy way to provide
    > that. Kindly suggest a way out. Please realize that I am talking
    > about a menu bar and NOT the title bar.

    Whatever for?

    xterm doesn't do that, but a number of the other xterm like
    terminal emulators do.

    rxvt has some logic for it, but I've never been able to work
    out the details (not that I tried hard).

    dtterm on Solaris does it.

    I believe both the KDE and the Gnome terminal emulators do it too.

    In my opinion, the only time a menu bar makes sense is when the
    application running in the terminal supplies one.

  4. Re: Menu bar on xterms?

    Dan Espen wrote:
    > nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com (Nimmi Srivastav) writes:

    >> I don't see any way to add a menu bar to an xterm window (which would,
    >> for example, have options like "File", "Options", "Help" etc.). I
    >> find it difficult to believe that there is no easy way to provide
    >> that. Kindly suggest a way out. Please realize that I am talking
    >> about a menu bar and NOT the title bar.

    > Whatever for?

    > xterm doesn't do that, but a number of the other xterm like
    > terminal emulators do.

    yes/no - I added a configure option a few years ago to XFree86 xterm that
    makes a toolbar (pulldown menus corresponding to the popups). It has some
    geometry problems that break with the newer Xaw in XFree86 (and I've not
    found time to see why - too many other things to do ;-).

    > rxvt has some logic for it, but I've never been able to work
    > out the details (not that I tried hard).

    rxvt's is programmable - for an application that is running in the window.

    > dtterm on Solaris does it.

    > I believe both the KDE and the Gnome terminal emulators do it too.

    These (as well as a few others) are predefined. There's a "File" pulldown,
    but it has nothing to do with files.

    > In my opinion, the only time a menu bar makes sense is when the
    > application running in the terminal supplies one.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net
    ftp://invisible-island.net