gdm "not authorized..." - Xwindows

This is a discussion on gdm "not authorized..." - Xwindows ; This is probably a silly one, but I've been going around in circles for a while, and it's time to ask for help. I'm trying to get (an older) XFree86/Gnome system fully working [And please don't suggest I upgrade (:-/)]. ...

  1. gdm "not authorized..."

    This is probably a silly one, but I've been going around in circles
    for a while, and it's time to ask for help.

    I'm trying to get (an older) XFree86/Gnome system fully working
    [And please don't suggest I upgrade (:-/)]. I have everything working
    fine, except that I start in console mode and use xinit or startx
    to get X going. All attempts to get gdm working have failed, with
    "Not authorized to connect to X Server" entries in the /var/gdm/:0.log

    I can move gdm out of the way, and xdm takes over without trouble,
    but of course then I don't get the Gnome desktop when I log in.

    Can someone please suggest what gdm is missing, or else tell me
    how to use xdm to start Gnome? [Sorry but this is all fairly new
    to me.]

    Thanks,
    -- Pete --

    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

  2. Re: gdm "not authorized..."

    In article ,
    neverland@jwgibbs.cchem.Berkeley.EDU (Pete) writes:

    > This is probably a silly one, but I've been going around in circles
    > for a while, and it's time to ask for help.
    >
    > I'm trying to get (an older) XFree86/Gnome system fully working
    > [And please don't suggest I upgrade (:-/)]. I have everything working
    > fine, except that I start in console mode and use xinit or startx
    > to get X going. All attempts to get gdm working have failed, with
    > "Not authorized to connect to X Server" entries in the /var/gdm/:0.log
    >
    > I can move gdm out of the way, and xdm takes over without trouble,
    > but of course then I don't get the Gnome desktop when I log in.

    Maybe the X server is built to use XDM authorization, but gdm is
    not, or vice-versa? The DES encryption was export-controlled in
    the U.S until a couple of years ago, and still isn't the default with
    stock XFree86. Training gdm or the X server to speak the same language
    as the other, when one is not capable of XDM auth, is not worth the
    trouble, IMHO...

    > Can someone please suggest what gdm is missing, or else tell me
    > how to use xdm to start Gnome? [Sorry but this is all fairly new
    > to me.]

    The last question has an easy answer...

    cat exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session >> ~/.xsession
    chmod a+w ~/.xsession

    The "~/.xsession" shell script more typically sets ${PATH}, ${ENV},
    and other environment variables just like "~/.profile" does for a
    plain, non-X login, except that it isn't sourced -- it's executed --
    so you end it with an exec of your window or session manager. When it
    exits, that is, when the exec'd program exits, your session is over.

    One of the first things you'll want to do, under the gnome control-panel,
    is choose a window manager besides the default "twm". A real easy one for
    beginners is "wmx" built with
    gnome compatibility. My personal favorite to run under gnome is
    "Afterstep" with the Gnome module running
    and Pager swallowd, but most of the other features turned off, but that
    one is a bit harder to configure. (The next version is supposed to have
    a graphical configuration utility.)

    --
    Frederick

  3. Re: gdm "not authorized..."

    In article ,
    Frederick Bruckman wrote:
    >In article ,
    > neverland@jwgibbs.cchem.Berkeley.EDU (Pete) writes:
    >>
    >> All attempts to get gdm working have failed, with
    >> "Not authorized to connect to X Server" entries in the /var/gdm/:0.log
    >>

    >Maybe the X server is built to use XDM authorization, but gdm is
    >not, or vice-versa? The DES encryption was export-controlled in
    >the U.S until a couple of years ago, and still isn't the default with
    >stock XFree86. Training gdm or the X server to speak the same language
    >as the other, when one is not capable of XDM auth, is not worth the
    >trouble, IMHO...

    You're probably right... This has taken far more time than the glitch
    is worth. Strange, though, that everything is from the same RedHat CDROM,
    so one would think they'd be compatible.

    >> Can someone please suggest what gdm is missing, or else tell me
    >> how to use xdm to start Gnome? [Sorry but this is all fairly new
    >> to me.]

    >The last question has an easy answer...
    >
    > cat exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session >> ~/.xsession
    > chmod a+w ~/.xsession

    [I guess you meant "chmod a+r..." (:-)] That doesn't work. (Our
    gnome-session is in /usr/bin, but same difference.) I have NO idea
    why -- looking at the scripts involved, they would seem to exec that
    ..xsession.

    I modified /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession to call gnome by default, and moved
    ..../xinit/Xclients out of the way, and that gives me the gnome session OK.
    With one problem...
    it doesn't clear out the old background when it starts, leaving piences
    of the "RedHat Linux" banner cluttering things up. Sigh.

    >One of the first things you'll want to do, under the gnome control-panel,
    >is choose a window manager besides the default "twm".

    I already have Enlightenment running (apparently well!). Don't
    think I'll bother to explore (:-/)

    Thanks for your help.
    -- Pete --

    The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
    (If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)

  4. Re: gdm "not authorized..."

    In article ,
    neverland@jwgibbs.cchem.Berkeley.EDU (Pete) writes:

    > In article ,
    > Frederick Bruckman wrote:
    >>In article ,
    >> neverland@jwgibbs.cchem.Berkeley.EDU (Pete) writes:
    >>>
    >>> All attempts to get gdm working have failed, with
    >>> "Not authorized to connect to X Server" entries in the /var/gdm/:0.log

    >>> Can someone please suggest what gdm is missing, or else tell me
    >>> how to use xdm to start Gnome? [Sorry but this is all fairly new
    >>> to me.]

    >>The last question has an easy answer...
    >>
    >> cat exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session >> ~/.xsession
    >> chmod a+w ~/.xsession

    > [I guess you meant "chmod a+r..." (:-)] That doesn't work. (Our
    > gnome-session is in /usr/bin, but same difference.) I have NO idea
    > why -- looking at the scripts involved, they would seem to exec that
    > .xsession.

    Oops. I meant "chmod a+x ~/.xsession". It has to have the execute bit
    set to "exec". ;-)

    > I modified /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession to call gnome by default, and moved
    > .../xinit/Xclients out of the way, and that gives me the gnome session OK.
    > With one problem...
    > it doesn't clear out the old background when it starts, leaving piences
    > of the "RedHat Linux" banner cluttering things up. Sigh.

    Go into the control panel, "Desktop", "Background", choose "use GNOME
    to set background", and pick a nice picture.

    --
    Frederick

  5. Re: gdm "not authorized..."

    In article ,
    Frederick Bruckman wrote:
    >In article ,
    > neverland@jwgibbs.cchem.Berkeley.EDU (Pete) writes:
    >> In article ,
    >> Frederick Bruckman wrote:
    >>>
    >>> cat exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session >> ~/.xsession
    >>> chmod a+w ~/.xsession

    >> [I guess you meant "chmod a+r..." (:-)] That doesn't work. (Our
    >> gnome-session is in /usr/bin, but same difference.) I have NO idea
    >> why -- looking at the scripts involved, they would seem to exec that
    >> .xsession.

    >Oops. I meant "chmod a+x ~/.xsession". It has to have the execute bit
    >set to "exec". ;-)

    Eh heh...! I guess that's why it wouldn't work! And I even noted
    the 'exec' myself without it registering...

    >Go into the control panel, "Desktop", "Background", choose "use GNOME
    >to set background", and pick a nice picture.

    Don't seem to *have* a 'Desktop' entry (or any other likely looking one)
    in the control panel. The perils of trying to work with a (somewhat)
    outdated system. [Gee -- it's all of two years old... (:-/)] Sigh, again.