ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 2.03 - a PDF viewer for X - Xwindows

This is a discussion on ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 2.03 - a PDF viewer for X - Xwindows ; Glyph & Cog, LLC is pleased to announce a new version of Xpdf, the open source Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer for X. The Xpdf project also includes a PDF text extractor, PDF-to-PostScript converter, and various other utilities. Xpdf runs ...

  1. ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 2.03 - a PDF viewer for X

    Glyph & Cog, LLC is pleased to announce a new version of Xpdf, the
    open source Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer for X. The Xpdf
    project also includes a PDF text extractor, PDF-to-PostScript
    converter, and various other utilities.

    Xpdf runs under the X Window System on Unix, VMS, and OS/2. The non-X
    components (pdftops, pdftotext, etc.) also run on Win32 systems and
    should run on pretty much any system with a decent C++ compiler.

    Major changes:
    * Rewrote the text extractor to:
    - do a better job with rotated text;
    - handle right-to-left scripts;
    - be faster.
    * Changed the zoom setting to use a percentage (relative to 72 dpi)
    instead of a zoom "factor".
    * If the PDF file has an outline, open the outline pane initially.
    * Added -f and -l options to pdfinfo; print multiple page sizes.

    See the `CHANGES' file for a complete list of changes.

    Source (C++ and C) is available, and it should be fairly easy to
    compile for UNIX, VMS, OS/2, and Win32.

    More information, source code, and precompiled binaries are on the
    xpdf web page and ftp site:

    http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
    ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/

    For information on commercial licensing and consulting, please see the
    Glyph & Cog web site:

    http://www.glyphandcog.com/

  2. Re: ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 2.03 - a PDF viewer for X

    What do I download in order to use xpdf under cygwin on a Windows XP
    machine?

    --
    Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
    Mathematics & Statistics Dept.

  3. Re: ANNOUNCE: Xpdf 2.03 - a PDF viewer for X

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:21:33 GMT, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

    > What do I download in order to use xpdf under cygwin on a Windows XP
    > machine?

    Xpdf runs under the X Window System on UNIX, VMS, and OS/2. The non-X
    components (pdftops, pdftotext, etc.) also run on Win32 systems and
    should run on pretty much any system with a decent C++ compiler.

    So if you weant to view PDFs with xpdf (and not just use the
    accompanying tools), you need an X server. AFAIK cygwin doesn't include
    XFree86. You might want to look at gsview which I think displays PDF as
    well as Postscript:

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/index.htm

    Bob T.

+ Reply to Thread