X windows newbie... - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X windows newbie... - Xwindows ; Ok, I don't even know if x-windows is what I'm looking for, but... If I'm remotely connecting to a linux system, and I want to , say, edit a file in Emacs, by using forwarding can it forward the window ...

  1. X windows newbie...

    Ok, I don't even know if x-windows is what I'm looking for, but...

    If I'm remotely connecting to a linux system, and I want to , say, edit
    a file in Emacs, by using forwarding can it forward the window to my
    screen here in my room instead of in the lab?

    If that's the case, then I'm doing something wrong... I installed WinaXe
    on my computer in my room and ssh'd into the server, but when i call
    emacs it says the following:
    "Xlib: client uses different protocol version (11) than server (0)!
    xhost: unable to open display "localhost:10.0" "

    Any tips? Thanks.
    --
    Matt <"))>{
    veino@bc.edu

  2. Re: X windows newbie...

    Yes, forwarding the display from the Linux X client to the X server in your
    room is a primary function of the X-Window System.

    I could only speculate on the cause of the error you're getting (such as a
    very old X server on your Windows machine), so I'll refrain and let more
    experienced people explain it.

    kiwi wrote:

    > "Xlib: client uses different protocol version (11) than server (0)!
    > xhost: unable to open display "localhost:10.0" "
    >
    > Any tips? Thanks.

  3. Re: X windows newbie...

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, kiwi wrote:
    > xhost: unable to open display "localhost:10.0" "

    you need to export the display on the remote machine and allow an
    X connection on you local host

    run remote: `export DISPLAY=:0.'
    where = inet address of local host

    run local : `xhost +'
    where = ip of remote host

    > "Xlib: client uses different protocol version (11) than server (0)!

    no idea

    SDF.lonestar.org
    public access UNIX system

+ Reply to Thread