Compile error: wrong machine type - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Compile error: wrong machine type - Xwindows ; I'm trying to create a simple X Windows/openGL executable on an SCO Unix machine and get the following error when running make: /u/[path]/lib/libGL.a (g_render.o): fatal error: /u/[path]/lib/libGL.a (g_render.o): wrong machine type ***Error code 1 (bu21) Thanks for any help....

  1. Compile error: wrong machine type

    I'm trying to create a simple X Windows/openGL executable on an SCO Unix
    machine and get the following error when running make:

    /u/[path]/lib/libGL.a (g_render.o): fatal error: /u/[path]/lib/libGL.a
    (g_render.o): wrong machine type
    ***Error code 1 (bu21)

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Compile error: wrong machine type

    In article ,
    dpm wrote:
    >I'm trying to create a simple X Windows/openGL executable on an SCO Unix
    >machine and get the following error when running make:
    >
    >/u/[path]/lib/libGL.a (g_render.o): fatal error: /u/[path]/lib/libGL.a
    >(g_render.o): wrong machine type
    >***Error code 1 (bu21)

    where was the libGL.a compiled?

    --
    Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
    Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org

  3. Re: Compile error: wrong machine type

    I don't know. I extracted it from a tar.Z file from a publisher's ftp site.

    > >I'm trying to create a simple X Windows/openGL executable on an SCO Unix
    > >machine and get the following error when running make:
    > >
    > >/u/[path]/lib/libGL.a (g_render.o): fatal error: /u/[path]/lib/libGL.a
    > >(g_render.o): wrong machine type
    > >***Error code 1 (bu21)

    > where was the libGL.a compiled?
    >
    > --
    > Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
    > Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
    > US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749

  4. Re: Compile error: wrong machine type

    In article ,
    dpm wrote:
    >I don't know. I extracted it from a tar.Z file from a publisher's ftp site.

    sounds like it is for a different archtecture(sp?) or
    machine type (pentium vs 486 vs 386 vs heaven only knows).

    What does file on libGL.a show?

    LER
    --
    Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
    Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org

  5. Re: Compile error: wrong machine type

    I entered

    All extracted object files were the same as g_render.o:

    g_render.o: ELF 32-bit MSB

    > > What does file on libGL.a show?

    > Bad idea. 'file xxx.a' only gives you a 'ar archive' as filetype. You
    > have to extract the object files in libGL.a first:
    >
    > $ ar xv libGL.a
    > x - 01.o
    > x - 02.o
    > x - 03.0
    > $ file 01.o
    > 01.o: iAPX 386 COFF object file not stripped - version 30821
    >
    > Walter

  6. Re: Compile error: wrong machine type

    In article ,
    dpm wrote:

    >I entered
    >
    >All extracted object files were the same as g_render.o:
    >
    >g_render.o: ELF 32-bit MSB

    and what is one of your own compiled .o's say?

    --
    Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
    Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org

  7. Re: Compile error: wrong machine type

    All other *.o files report back:

    iAPX 386 executable not stripped - version 30821

    > >I entered
    > >
    > >All extracted object files were the same as g_render.o:
    > >
    > >g_render.o: ELF 32-bit MSB

    > and what is one of your own compiled .o's say?

  8. Re: Compile error: wrong machine type

    "dpm" wrote in message news:...
    > I entered
    >
    > All extracted object files were the same as g_render.o:
    >
    > g_render.o: ELF 32-bit MSB

    Looks to me like your libGL.a was compiled for a big-endian
    machine such as MIPS or ARM. You can't use it for linking
    on SCO UNIX, which is running on both a different architecture
    and endianism.

    Jonathan Schilling

+ Reply to Thread