Hello,

This morning, with my debian Woody 3r1 kernel 2.4.21,
the mice doesn't work. ( Logitech MBJ58 on ps/2 port ).
The PC starts. The graphical login screen appears. The cursor ofthe
mouse is on the blink.
I log and no mouse cursor.
I go to a terminal CTRL+ALT+F1
I write : /etc/init.d/gdm restart
and the problem remains.
I go to a terminal CTRL+ALT+F1
I write : ps -ef | grep X, and i kill X process
/etc/init.d/gdm restart,
and the problem remains.

I launch xf86cfg, i repeat the config.
and the problem remains.

dpkg-reconfigure xfree86...
The cursor of the mouse is death.

dpkg-reconfigure -plow xerver-xfree886
The cursor of the mouse is death.

Now xfree86cfg crashes the PC. It doesn't display the configuration screen

This mouse works well with WinXP Pro on this computer.
I try another mice : Microsoft Intellimouse, Microsoft Explorer. It's
the same result. No mouse cursor.

In a terminal, i write : cat /dev/psaux
i move the mouse and curious character appear on screen.

So I install a console mouse manager :

apt-get gpm

The file /etc/gpm.conf contains :
device=/dev/psaux
repeat_type=raw
type=ps2
/etc/init.d/gpm restart

The mouse works well in the terminal.

So o reinstall gdm :
apt-get --purge remove gdm
apt-get gdm

I stop the gpm server : /etc/init.d/gpm stop

I relaunch gdm srever : /etc/init.d/gdm start

The mouse doesn't work at all !!

The /var/log/XFree86.0.log file concerning the mouse :

(**) Option "Protocol" "Logitech"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "Logitech"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Option "BaudRate" "1200"
(**) Configured Mouse: BaudRate: 1200
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

So i modify /etc/X11/XFree86Config-4 :

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

The /var/log/XFree86.0.log file concerning the mouse :

(**) Option "Protocol" "Logitech"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "Logitech"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Option "BaudRate" "1200"
(**) Configured Mouse: BaudRate: 1200
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Generic Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Generic Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

And the mouse doesn't work in X mode.......

I don't know what i can do now....

Ideas, advices are welcome.

Jeannot Lelapin