CDE decorations do not show correctly by xwin32 - Xwindows

This is a discussion on CDE decorations do not show correctly by xwin32 - Xwindows ; Hi, I'm using XWin32 as my windows2000 XServer. When I activate XWin32, and telnet to my remote host, and then run the X-Application by "-display xx.xx.xx.xx" parameter, the remote x-window does show up on my windows2000 screen. The problem, however, ...

  1. CDE decorations do not show correctly by xwin32

    Hi,

    I'm using XWin32 as my windows2000 XServer. When I activate XWin32,
    and telnet to my remote host, and then run the X-Application by
    "-display xx.xx.xx.xx" parameter, the remote x-window does show up on
    my windows2000 screen. The problem, however, is that the CDE
    decorations are lost! The window border, the background color, etc,
    are all incorrect.

    For an example, the /usr/dt/bin/dtterm, shows up on my windows2000
    screen in an ugly dark green color, which is totally different from
    its original look on our CDE workstation.

    I noticed that by running XWin32 in the XDMCP mode, the remote
    X-Window manager is launched and shown on my screen (by a login
    window). With this windows manager everything are correctly reproduced
    (the window border, the menu, the colors, etc).

    The question is, is it still possible to fully reproduce the CDE
    windows decorations, without launch the remote X-Windows manager? This
    is useful because I don't want to use the very slow CDE windows
    manager on our workstation. I guess maybe XWin32 itself can manage
    these CDE decorations.

    Any response is welcomed.

    ---
    Linhui YE

  2. Re: CDE decorations do not show correctly by xwin32

    In comp.windows.x, Linhui Ye

    wrote
    on 28 Jul 2003 10:20:41 -0700
    <1ba6024d.0307280920.6ae112af@posting.google.com>:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using XWin32 as my windows2000 XServer. When I activate XWin32,
    > and telnet to my remote host, and then run the X-Application by
    > "-display xx.xx.xx.xx" parameter, the remote x-window does show up on
    > my windows2000 screen. The problem, however, is that the CDE
    > decorations are lost! The window border, the background color, etc,
    > are all incorrect.
    >
    > For an example, the /usr/dt/bin/dtterm, shows up on my windows2000
    > screen in an ugly dark green color, which is totally different from
    > its original look on our CDE workstation.
    >
    > I noticed that by running XWin32 in the XDMCP mode, the remote
    > X-Window manager is launched and shown on my screen (by a login
    > window). With this windows manager everything are correctly reproduced
    > (the window border, the menu, the colors, etc).
    >
    > The question is, is it still possible to fully reproduce the CDE
    > windows decorations, without launch the remote X-Windows manager? This
    > is useful because I don't want to use the very slow CDE windows
    > manager on our workstation. I guess maybe XWin32 itself can manage
    > these CDE decorations.
    >
    > Any response is welcomed.

    You might try building CDE on Win32 locally, using XWin32's
    development kit, assuming the source and the kit are available.
    The main problem is that the decorations of the windows are done
    by the window manager reparenting the window, which means that
    the decorations window is "slipped under" the application's.
    This is why you're losing your decorations.

    As for the ugly dark green color, I can't say offhand.

    I don't know what XWin32 provides locally so can't help you there.
    Cygwin/XFree86 has twm, which is a very primitive (and old) window
    manager.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

+ Reply to Thread