xterm: change utf8 resource interactively - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xterm: change utf8 resource interactively - Xwindows ; Hi, I was wondering whether it is possible to change the utf8 resource interactively in xterm. My problem: I normally work on a latin1 keyboard, but from time to time a cron process must report some message that requires UTF-8. ...

  1. xterm: change utf8 resource interactively

    Hi,

    I was wondering whether it is possible to change the utf8 resource
    interactively in xterm.

    My problem: I normally work on a latin1 keyboard, but from time to
    time a cron process must report some message that requires UTF-8.
    I don't want to switch my keyboard, as most of my text data is
    already latin1.

    I know I can get it by firing the xterm using the -u8 option.
    I know there are xterm control sequences for things like switching
    the fonts interactively. I was wondering whether there is something
    similar for the utf8 resource.

    TIA.
    -pardillaco@yahoo.com

  2. Re: xterm: change utf8 resource interactively

    Myself wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I was wondering whether it is possible to change the utf8 resource
    > interactively in xterm.

    > My problem: I normally work on a latin1 keyboard, but from time to
    > time a cron process must report some message that requires UTF-8.
    > I don't want to switch my keyboard, as most of my text data is
    > already latin1.

    > I know I can get it by firing the xterm using the -u8 option.
    > I know there are xterm control sequences for things like switching
    > the fonts interactively. I was wondering whether there is something
    > similar for the utf8 resource.

    in ctlseqs.ms

    ESC % @ Select default character set, ISO 8859-1 (ISO 2022)
    ESC % G Select UTF-8 character set (ISO 2022)

    see
    ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs.txt.gz

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://dickey.his.com

  3. Re: xterm: change utf8 resource interactively

    Myself wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I tried

    >> echo "^[%G"

    > but when I cat Unicode text, it is still interpreted as
    > ISO 8859-1. Is there any way to know the current character
    > set, so that I know whether the change happened or not?

    Actually, the fonts don't switch (perhaps that's what you're seeing -
    switching at runtime is limited). None of the response strings
    report the values for the character-set selection.

    > -pardillaco

    > Thomas Dickey wrote in message news:...
    >> Myself wrote:
    >> > Hi,

    >> > I was wondering whether it is possible to change the utf8 resource
    >> > interactively in xterm.

    >> > My problem: I normally work on a latin1 keyboard, but from time to
    >> > time a cron process must report some message that requires UTF-8.
    >> > I don't want to switch my keyboard, as most of my text data is
    >> > already latin1.

    >> > I know I can get it by firing the xterm using the -u8 option.
    >> > I know there are xterm control sequences for things like switching
    >> > the fonts interactively. I was wondering whether there is something
    >> > similar for the utf8 resource.

    >> in ctlseqs.ms
    >>
    >> ESC % @ Select default character set, ISO 8859-1 (ISO 2022)
    >> ESC % G Select UTF-8 character set (ISO 2022)
    >>
    >> see
    >> ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs.txt.gz

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://dickey.his.com
    ftp://dickey.his.com

  4. Re: xterm: change utf8 resource interactively

    Thomas Dickey wrote in message news:...

    > Actually, the fonts don't switch (perhaps that's what you're seeing -
    > switching at runtime is limited). None of the response strings
    > report the values for the character-set selection.

    I'd actually say that switching fonts at runtime is not
    a problem. If a try:

    echo "^[]50;-adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso8859-15^G"

    I get a completely different font, that even changes the size of
    my xterm.

    I tried changing both the character set *and* the font, to no luck.

    > setenv LC_CTYPE en_GB.UTF-8
    > echo "^[]50;-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1^G"
    > echo "^[%G"

    Any other ideas, apart from going to the source?

    -pardillaco

  5. Re: xterm: change utf8 resource interactively

    Thomas Dickey wrote in message news:...

    > Actually, the fonts don't switch (perhaps that's what you're seeing -
    > switching at runtime is limited). None of the response strings
    > report the values for the character-set selection.

    I'd actually say that switching fonts at runtime is not
    a problem. If a try:

    echo "^[]50;-adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso8859-15^G"

    I get a completely different font, that even changes the size of
    my xterm.

    I tried changing both the character set *and* the font, to no luck.

    > setenv LC_CTYPE en_GB.UTF-8
    > echo "^[]50;-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1^G"
    > echo "^[%G"

    Any other ideas, apart from going to the source?

    -pardillaco

  6. Re: xterm: change utf8 resource interactively

    Myself wrote:
    > Thomas Dickey wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >> Actually, the fonts don't switch (perhaps that's what you're seeing -
    >> switching at runtime is limited). None of the response strings
    >> report the values for the character-set selection.

    > I'd actually say that switching fonts at runtime is not
    > a problem. If a try:

    > echo "^[]50;-adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso8859-15^G"

    > I get a completely different font, that even changes the size of
    > my xterm.

    > I tried changing both the character set *and* the font, to no luck.

    >> setenv LC_CTYPE en_GB.UTF-8
    >> echo "^[]50;-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1^G"
    >> echo "^[%G"

    A detail overlooked, perhaps: set the wideChars resource to true, but utf8
    (initially) to false.

    > Any other ideas, apart from going to the source?

    ( actually that's what I do ;-)

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://dickey.his.com