Re: intallation troubleshot with a ATI rage 128 agp on a debian - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Re: intallation troubleshot with a ATI rage 128 agp on a debian - Xwindows ; Martin Boris wrote: > i have buy an ati rage 128 because many site on the web say it's THE > linux compatible graphic card. No luck , my X server don't start. > And as i am not realy ...

  1. Re: intallation troubleshot with a ATI rage 128 agp on a debian

    Martin Boris wrote:
    > i have buy an ati rage 128 because many site on the web say it's THE
    > linux compatible graphic card. No luck , my X server don't start.
    > And as i am not realy good with X i don't know what i can do.
    > I have found no answer in my debian Faq howto..
    > my config file can be found at:
    > http://sombre.alternc.info/XF86Config-4
    > and the log report at
    > http://sombre.alternc.info/XFree86.0.log
    >
    > Can anyone have a look on that and give me advice on what i can do or
    > link that can help me ???
    >
    > P.S : if i am on the wrong news can i have the name of the good one ?

    I have an apparently identical card, and it works for me. Some of
    the differences between your setup and mine are:

    * You're running XFree86 4.1.0, and I'm running 4.2.0. The ATI chipset
    (PCI #5446) is unrecognized by your version, but mine identifies it
    as "ATI Rage 128 TF".

    * I installed the GATOS driver from gatos.SourceForge.net because the
    stock 4.2.0 driver doesn't handle XVideo correctly for this chipset.
    A driver for 4.1.0 is also available at the same site.

    * You have `Option "UseFBDev" "true"' in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file,
    and you're using the "ati" driver. (Both of these are in the "Device"
    section.) I'm using the GATOS version of the "r128" driver without
    FBdev.

    * Your default depth is 8 (in the "Screen" section of /etc/X11/XF86Config).
    Mine is 16. You can't use 3D graphics with 8 bits per pixel.

    I suggest you begin by downloading the GATOS driver for XFree86 4.1.0
    from gatos.SourceForge.net, and installing it. Then hand-edit the
    /etc/X11/XF86Config file to change the differences listed above. If
    that doesn't solve it, then you may need to upgrade your X server.

    By the way, I'm running SuSE 8.1, not Debian. Hopefully that won't
    invalidate my advice.

  2. Re: intallation troubleshot with a ATI rage 128 agp on a debian

    the real name of the card is Rage 128 pro ultra 32M if this can help
    someone...
    Steve Kirkendall wrote:

    > Martin Boris wrote:
    >
    >>i have buy an ati rage 128 because many site on the web say it's THE
    >>linux compatible graphic card. No luck , my X server don't start.
    >>And as i am not realy good with X i don't know what i can do.
    >>I have found no answer in my debian Faq howto..
    >>my config file can be found at:
    >>http://sombre.alternc.info/XF86Config-4
    >>and the log report at
    >>http://sombre.alternc.info/XFree86.0.log
    >>
    >>Can anyone have a look on that and give me advice on what i can do or
    >>link that can help me ???
    >>
    >>P.S : if i am on the wrong news can i have the name of the good one ?

    > I have an apparently identical card, and it works for me. Some of
    > the differences between your setup and mine are:
    >
    > * You're running XFree86 4.1.0, and I'm running 4.2.0. The ATI chipset
    > (PCI #5446) is unrecognized by your version, but mine identifies it
    > as "ATI Rage 128 TF".
    >
    > * I installed the GATOS driver from gatos.SourceForge.net because the
    > stock 4.2.0 driver doesn't handle XVideo correctly for this chipset.
    > A driver for 4.1.0 is also available at the same site.
    >
    > * You have `Option "UseFBDev" "true"' in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file,
    > and you're using the "ati" driver. (Both of these are in the "Device"
    > section.) I'm using the GATOS version of the "r128" driver without
    > FBdev.
    >
    > * Your default depth is 8 (in the "Screen" section of /etc/X11/XF86Config).
    > Mine is 16. You can't use 3D graphics with 8 bits per pixel.
    >
    > I suggest you begin by downloading the GATOS driver for XFree86 4.1.0
    > from gatos.SourceForge.net, and installing it. Then hand-edit the
    > /etc/X11/XF86Config file to change the differences listed above. If
    > that doesn't solve it, then you may need to upgrade your X server.
    >
    > By the way, I'm running SuSE 8.1, not Debian. Hopefully that won't
    > invalidate my advice.

+ Reply to Thread