Re: Multiple X screens, multiple WM, TV-out - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Re: Multiple X screens, multiple WM, TV-out - Xwindows ; ab@telin.ugent.be wrote: Try another approach! With NVTV, you'll get direct access to your card; and it's working great in the tui with the appropriate parameters. http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/ -- Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.8p1 Linux 2.5.74-mm1 i686 AMD Athlon(TM)Processor GNU/Linux...

  1. Re: Multiple X screens, multiple WM, TV-out

    --
    Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.8p1
    Linux 2.5.74-mm1 i686 AMD Athlon(TM)Processor GNU/Linux

  2. Re: Multiple X screens, multiple WM, TV-out

    In comp.windows.x Hagbard Celine wrote:
    > ab@telin.ugent.be wrote:

    > Try another approach! With NVTV, you'll get direct access to your card; and
    > it's working great in the tui with the appropriate parameters.

    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/

    Cool. I downloaded it, haven't gotten to running it yet. I suppose I'll have to switch back
    to one X screen?

    I'm still curious whether it's possible to run two window managers on the different screens.
    I found some references stating that something like

    export DISPLAY=:0.0; startkde
    export DISPLAY=:0.1; ratpoison

    should do the trick. I can see why, but when I put it in my .xinitrc, it doesn't seem to
    work. I tried startkde & after the first one, but then it tries to run both wm's on the
    same screen, and mayhem ensues. How does this work?

    P.S. Is this board always so slow? You'd expect X drawing more discussion.

    --
    Alex

  3. Re: Multiple X screens, multiple WM, TV-out

    In comp.windows.x, ab@nospam.edu

    wrote
    on Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:20:14 +0000 (UTC)
    :
    > In comp.windows.x Hagbard Celine wrote:
    >> ab@telin.ugent.be wrote:

    >> Try another approach! With NVTV, you'll get direct access to your card; and
    >> it's working great in the tui with the appropriate parameters.

    >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/

    > Cool. I downloaded it, haven't gotten to running it yet. I suppose I'll have to switch back
    > to one X screen?
    >
    > I'm still curious whether it's possible to run two window managers
    > on the different screens.
    > I found some references stating that something like
    >
    > export DISPLAY=:0.0; startkde
    > export DISPLAY=:0.1; ratpoison
    >
    > should do the trick. I can see why, but when I put it in my .xinitrc,
    > it doesn't seem to work. I tried startkde & after the first one,
    > but then it tries to run both wm's on the same screen, and mayhem
    > ensues. How does this work?
    >
    > P.S. Is this board always so slow? You'd expect X drawing more discussion.

    This board tends toward the technical. We do get a few newbies
    wandering in here asking XP questions on occasion, though. :-)

    You can try invocation lines such as

    DISPLAY=:0.0 startkde

    although I suspect it won't make that much difference. Bear also
    in mind that "startkde" starts up a lot more stuff than the
    window manager.

    I'll admit it would be nice if XFree86 could handle multiple
    screens. (The only freeware X server I've seen that can is Xnest,
    and Xnest is a "virtual X" server, which means a real X server
    has to be Xnest's server. Of course specialized X servers
    probably exist all over the place. :-) )

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    It's still legal to go .sigless.

+ Reply to Thread