missing some lib? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on missing some lib? - Xwindows ; Hi, everyone, I write a program using Motif ComboBox. When I compile and run it under my RH Linux9.0 and RH Linux7.3, it works fine. But when I copy it to my advisor's laptop with RH Linux 7.2, it fails ...

  1. missing some lib?

    Hi, everyone,

    I write a program using Motif ComboBox. When I compile and run it under
    my RH Linux9.0 and RH Linux7.3, it works fine. But when I copy it to my
    advisor's laptop with RH Linux 7.2, it fails to link, the error message
    is like this:

    main.c++:1016:undefined reference to 'xmComboBoxWidgetClass'
    main.o:In function xListCallBack(_WidgetRec *, void *, void *):
    main.c++:1580:undefined reference to 'XmStringUnparse'

    Does anyone know what's the problem for it? I think maybe I need to
    install some libraries to my advisor's laptop. But I don't know which
    lib is missing in his laptop. I do need your help.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: missing some lib?

    "Sirinus Zhang" writes:

    > Hi, everyone,
    >
    > I write a program using Motif ComboBox. When I compile and run it under
    > my RH Linux9.0 and RH Linux7.3, it works fine. But when I copy it to my
    > advisor's laptop with RH Linux 7.2, it fails to link, the error message
    > is like this:
    >
    > main.c++:1016:undefined reference to 'xmComboBoxWidgetClass'
    > main.o:In function xListCallBack(_WidgetRec *, void *, void *):
    > main.c++:1580:undefined reference to 'XmStringUnparse'
    >

    > Does anyone know what's the problem for it? I think maybe I need to
    > install some libraries to my advisor's laptop. But I don't know which
    > lib is missing in his laptop. I do need your help.

    [snip]

    (0) Use ldd to find out which libraries your appliction is linking
    to.

    (1) Use nm | grep to find out which libraries have the names
    xmComboBoxWidgetClass, etc.

    (2) Use rpm -q to find out which packages contain those libraries.

    (3) Get the latest versions of those packages and install them.

  3. Re: missing some lib?

    You need to recompile it on Red Hat 7.2. Red Hat 7.3+ ships Open Motif 2.2.2
    which is incompatible with the Open Motif 2.1.30 shipped with Red Hat 7.2.

    Mark

    news:e26d9fe1e7070e102a8558058a9f1423.122597@mygat e.mailgate.org...