Problem with Involuntary dialup of ISP -winxp - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Problem with Involuntary dialup of ISP -winxp - Xwindows ; After upgrading from WinME to WinXPHome my home computer dials a number from time to time without any direction from me. I assume it's dialing my isp for some reason. Never did that until upgrade. I have a Dell Inspiron ...

  1. Problem with Involuntary dialup of ISP -winxp

    After upgrading from WinME to WinXPHome my home computer dials a number from
    time to
    time without any direction from me. I assume it's dialing my isp for some
    reason. Never did that until upgrade. I have a Dell
    Inspiron 8100 and Dell has been no help. Anybody know what I can do to
    find/eliminate this? Dell directed me to MS Config and disabled some items but
    it still does it.I have tried to write down the times of day but so far no
    consistent pattern. Thanks for help. Sam

  2. Re: Problem with Involuntary dialup of ISP -winxp

    "Thampat" wrote in message news:20030702172715.03272.00000002@mb-m12.aol.com...
    : After upgrading from WinME to WinXPHome my home computer dials a number from
    : time to
    : time without any direction from me. I assume it's dialing my isp for some
    : reason. Never did that until upgrade. I have a Dell
    : Inspiron 8100 and Dell has been no help. Anybody know what I can do to
    : find/eliminate this? Dell directed me to MS Config and disabled some items but
    : it still does it.I have tried to write down the times of day but so far no
    : consistent pattern. Thanks for help. Sam

    You should go ask this question in a newsgroup that deals with Microsoft.
    This one deals with the X11 Windows System used on Unix and Linux.

    You might also google "msconfig dialup"

    Dan Mercer

  3. Re: Problem with Involuntary dialup of ISP -winxp

    In article <20030702172715.03272.00000002@mb-m12.aol.com>
    thampat@aol.com (Thampat) writes:

    >After upgrading from WinME to WinXPHome my home computer dials
    >a number from time to time without any direction from me.

    It's just reporting your actions back to Big Brother Bill.
    Don't worry about it. Just relax and look at the pretty
    pictures. And remember, turning off your telescreen is
    thoughtcrime.

    Your question is off-charter for this group. You might get
    better results posting your question to a Windows group.
    Try comp.os.ms-windows.surveillance. 1/2 :-)

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)