Grab keyboard and mouse including ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace ... - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Grab keyboard and mouse including ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace ... - Xwindows ; Hi, we're writing a virtual machine which enables to run a Linux on top of a Linux machine by emulating x86er hardware. I saw in vmware that it is possible to grab mouse and keyboard so that CTRL+ALT+F1 and co ...

  1. Grab keyboard and mouse including ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace ...

    Hi,
    we're writing a virtual machine which enables to run a Linux on top of a
    Linux machine by emulating x86er hardware.

    I saw in vmware that it is possible to grab mouse and keyboard so that
    CTRL+ALT+F1 and co isn't intercepted by the Xserver but by the 'virtual
    machine' which has craped keyboard and mouse. Now looking at the Xfree86
    Source Code I see only one possibility obtain this: By using DRI.

    My question is now if there are any other ways and / or example
    applications which source code is free that grab keyboard / mouse in
    that way vmware does.

    Greetings,
    Thomas
    --
    Thomas Glanzmann ++49 (0) 9131 85-27574 Department of Computer Science III
    Martensstrasse 3 D-91058 Erlangen Germany University of Erlangen-Nuremberg

  2. Re: Grab keyboard and mouse including ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace ...

    > There's something that does this already, ...
    > http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

    Not really. user-mode-linux simulates Linux on top of Linux. We're
    simulating Linux on top of x86 where x86er is simulated by our vm.

    > There is an option "nochangeVT" or something (it's not called that) which
    > you can remove the special treatment of the VT switch keys.

    That is not what I asked for. I know about that option but there must be
    a possibilty for a programm to grab the screen so that X does *not*
    intercept CTRL ALT F1 and co.

  3. Re: Grab keyboard and mouse including ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace ...

    Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
    >> There's something that does this already, ...
    >> http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

    > Not really. user-mode-linux simulates Linux on top of Linux. We're
    > simulating Linux on top of x86 where x86er is simulated by our vm.
    >
    >> There is an option "nochangeVT" or something (it's not called that) which
    >> you can remove the special treatment of the VT switch keys.

    > That is not what I asked for. I know about that option but there must be
    > a possibilty for a programm to grab the screen so that X does *not*
    > intercept CTRL ALT F1 and co.

    I was assuming that as X does not intercept Ctrl-Shift-R, if you turned
    on that option, you could treat them as any other keys.

    --
    http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto:inquisitor@i.am | Ian Stirling.
    My inner child can beat up your inner child. - Alex Greenbank

  4. Re: Grab keyboard and mouse including ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace ...

    > Well there's something that does that already too:
    >
    > http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

    Okay. Lets look at the perfomance:

    compile kernel 2.2.0 nativ : 96 secs
    FAUmachine with modified kernel : 6 minutes
    FAUmachine without modified kernel : 12 minutes
    Bochs : 240 minutes

    but I am still looking for the solution to grab the screen. And no I
    don't want to configure the xserver and yes I want to let it do the
    application on *any* xfree86 xserver as normal user.

    Greetings,
    Thomas

  5. Re: Grab keyboard and mouse including ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace ...

    Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
    >> Well there's something that does that already too:
    >>
    >> http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

    > Okay. Lets look at the perfomance:
    >
    > compile kernel 2.2.0 nativ : 96 secs
    > FAUmachine with modified kernel : 6 minutes
    > FAUmachine without modified kernel : 12 minutes
    > Bochs : 240 minutes
    >
    > but I am still looking for the solution to grab the screen. And no I
    > don't want to configure the xserver and yes I want to let it do the
    > application on *any* xfree86 xserver as normal user.

    I'd be very, very unhappy if you could do that.
    User logs in, walks away.
    Root comes up, hits ctrl-alt-f1, knowing that the xserver is not
    setup to trap keys.
    User app fakes text mode screen, and steals roots password.

    --
    http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto:inquisitor@i.am | Ian Stirling.
    "Don't count the humans out until the last one is dead and you have

  6. Re: Grab keyboard and mouse including ctrl+alt+f1 and ctrl+alt+backspace ...

    > I'd be very, very unhappy if you could do that.

    In fact you can. Just install vmware or have a look at the XFree86
    Xserver Source code.

    > User logs in, walks away. Root comes up, hits ctrl-alt-f1, knowing
    > that the xserver is not setup to trap keys. User app fakes text mode
    > screen, and steals roots password.

    What about http://www.keyghost.com/ - same effect but less work?

    But I am not thinking about compromise your machine. - I am thinking
    about a useable open source virtual machine. And it would more then just
    helpful to switch to the console of the virtual machine and back again.

    Greetings,
    Thomas

+ Reply to Thread