Optics Guy wrote:
> I've got eightbit set already. The problem appears also with konsole and
> the gnome thing (whose name I forget). I can also do an exec and leave
> the shell out as the middle-man.

> It appears to be an X problem. Or feature.

I'm not sure (I don't have a 7.3 - have a Redhat 7.2 and 8.0). For xterm,
it would be possible to get more information by recompiling it. That is,
configure --enable-trace
make tells it to compile-in debug traces that show (among lots of other
detail) the codes received by xterm, and what it does with them. xterm
uses two actions (insert-seven-bit and insert-eight-bit) to read the
data via one function. If you're not getting the data, then either
the insert-eight-bit action isn't triggered, or it's not handling the
data that it expects. (Sounds complicated, but most of the time it's not).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://dickey.his.com