Window Information tool - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Window Information tool - Xwindows ; Hi, Under Windows, I often use a program called MWSnap for screenshots. One very handy feature it has is "window information". It shows a small dialog display the information under the mouse cursor. The other really neat part is that ...

  1. Window Information tool

    Hi,

    Under Windows, I often use a program called MWSnap for screenshots. One
    very handy feature it has is "window information". It shows a small
    dialog display the information under the mouse cursor. The other really
    neat part is that it draws a rectangle over the desktop highlighting the
    window it is showing information about.

    See the image below. The program automatically drew the rectangle where
    the mouse is located highlighting the window in question. As you move
    the mouse, so the rectangle is redraw.

    http://opensoft.homeip.net/~graemeg/...screenshot.png

    Is something like this possible in X-Window? It's would be similar to
    'xwininfo' (command line app), but with runtime updates. I did find a
    GTK2 version of 'xwininfo' which seems to do what I want, but it doesn't
    draw the all important rectangle highlighting the window in question.

    If nobody knows of a tool like this, I would like to write one, but I
    don't know quite how? First off, how do you draw over all other
    windows? MWSnap seems to take a snapshot of the desktop before it draws
    the rectangle - because application windows are not updated will MWSnap
    is in "window info" mode. Anybody got some clues how all this can be
    done in X-Window?

    Regards,
    - Graeme -

    fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
    http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

  2. Re: Window Information tool

    Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

    > http://opensoft.homeip.net/~graemeg/...screenshot.png
    >
    > Is something like this possible in X-Window? It's would be similar to
    > 'xwininfo' (command line app), but with runtime updates. I did find a
    > GTK2 version of 'xwininfo' which seems to do what I want, but it doesn't
    > draw the all important rectangle highlighting the window in question.

    Just as a follow up. I have managed to implement this under X11 and it
    was much easier than I expected. Thanks to hordes of available
    open-source out there. :-)

    I simply grab the mouse pointer and poll it's position every xxx
    milliseconds. I then use a recursive XQueryPointer() call to track down
    the exact (top most) window under the cursor. Query the information
    about that window, translate the coordinates and use the "rubber band"
    technique to draw directly on the root (desktop) window highlighting the
    window in question.

    Next step will be to extend the information I display about the window.
    Name, classname, events it listens to etc... But I find the
    highlighting rectangle very useful - especially since I am a GUI toolkit
    developer.

    Regards,
    - Graeme -

    fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
    http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

+ Reply to Thread