XCB - Xwindows

This is a discussion on XCB - Xwindows ; Dear All! Is XCB an official replacement for Xlib? And how soon you would expect it to replace the Xlib? Thanks....

  1. XCB

    Dear All!

    Is XCB an official replacement for Xlib? And how soon you would expect
    it to replace the Xlib?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: XCB

    eotcl wrote:

    > Is XCB an official replacement for Xlib? And how soon you would expect
    > it to replace the Xlib?

    I've been wondering the same thing. XCB was designed as a replacement,
    but from what I've seen from my bit of Google searching, is that the
    update is very slow to nothing.

    I guess it's not as easy as the designers or XCB thought, to change the
    habits of all the X11 developers. The other issue is that XCB libraries
    do not ship with all distros, which puts an extra burden on deploying
    applications. I know I had to manually install XCB on Ubuntu Linux 7.10.

    Regards,
    - Graeme -

    fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
    http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

  3. Re: XCB

    Graeme Geldenhuys writes:
    > eotcl wrote:
    >>
    >> Is XCB an official replacement for Xlib? And how soon you would expect
    >> it to replace the Xlib?

    > I've been wondering the same thing. XCB was designed as a replacement,
    > but from what I've seen from my bit of Google searching, is that the
    > update is very slow to nothing.

    > I guess it's not as easy as the designers or XCB thought, to change the
    > habits of all the X11 developers. The other issue is that XCB libraries
    > do not ship with all distros, which puts an extra burden on deploying
    > applications. I know I had to manually install XCB on Ubuntu Linux 7.10.

    Most of the recent distros these days have libX11 built with XCB backend
    . So all of your apps will be using XCB indirectly. Ofcourse, it'll be
    great if UI toolkits are ported to use XCB directly .

    Ashish
    --
    () ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML e-mail

  4. Re: XCB

    Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल wrote:

    > Most of the recent distros these days have libX11 built with XCB backend
    > . So all of your apps will be using XCB indirectly.

    I never knew that. Thanks for the info.

    > Ofcourse, it'll be
    > great if UI toolkits are ported to use XCB directly .

    In that case, I could always have a XLib and XCB backend for my GUI
    toolkit. :-) I've already abstracted the toolkit enough to support GDI
    and XLib, so adding a new backend is not a major issue. I'm planing for
    Mac's Cocoa as well. I'll have to investigate XCB in more detail though
    - I don't know the api at all.

    Regards,
    - Graeme -

    fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
    http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

+ Reply to Thread