detecting the X-server crash - Xwindows

This is a discussion on detecting the X-server crash - Xwindows ; Hello, Is it possible to detect the X-server crash from within the program? I would like to detect that case, so I can restart X...

  1. detecting the X-server crash

    Hello,

    Is it possible to detect the X-server crash from within the program?

    I would like to detect that case, so I can restart X

  2. Re: detecting the X-server crash

    anon wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is it possible to detect the X-server crash from within the program?
    >
    > I would like to detect that case, so I can restart X

    If you run you system with a GUI login screen like GDM or KDM, then that
    is handled for you. For example: Using GDM I log into my system and see
    the Gnome desktop. I press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace which kills the X-server,
    but the X-server auto restarts and shows me the GUI login again.

    Regards,
    - Graeme -

    fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
    http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

  3. Re: detecting the X-server crash

    Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
    > anon wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to detect the X-server crash from within the program?
    >>
    >> I would like to detect that case, so I can restart X

    > If you run you system with a GUI login screen like GDM or KDM, then that
    > is handled for you. For example: Using GDM I log into my system and see
    > the Gnome desktop. I press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace which kills the X-server,
    > but the X-server auto restarts and shows me the GUI login again.

    Thank you for responding, but that doesn't answer my question. Maybe it
    was not clean enough.

    Lets say I have a c++ program, which displays a window with two embedded
    opengl windows. Now, from within this program I want to detect a "x
    server crashed" state and restart it (again from the program). Is this
    possible?

+ Reply to Thread