transparent background in a widget - Xwindows

This is a discussion on transparent background in a widget - Xwindows ; Hi, I created a cross-platform GUI toolkit called fpGUI. It talks directly to XLib and tries to have as little as possible dependencies as possible. The toolkit is a "windowed" toolkit - every widget is a window. For example: If ...

  1. transparent background in a widget

    Hi,

    I created a cross-platform GUI toolkit called fpGUI. It talks directly
    to XLib and tries to have as little as possible dependencies as
    possible. The toolkit is a "windowed" toolkit - every widget is a window.

    For example: If I have one Form (window) with a Button and TextLabel
    component, that totals three windows. One top-level window and two
    embedded windows.

    I would like the TextLabel or Button widgets to have transparent
    backgrounds. My goal is to tile a bitmap on the Form canvas and have the
    TextLabel overlay on top of that.

    Is it possible to create widgets with transparent background? If so,
    has anybody got some sample code (or know of another toolkit I can look
    at) or a list of XLib API's I need call?

    Regards,
    - Graeme -

    fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
    http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

  2. Re: transparent background in a widget

    On Sep 28, 11:40*pm, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I created a cross-platform GUI toolkit called fpGUI. It talks directly
    > to XLib and tries to have as little as possible dependencies as
    > possible. The toolkit is a "windowed" toolkit - every widget is a window.
    >
    > For example: If I have one Form (window) with a Button and TextLabel
    > component, that totals three windows. One top-level window and two
    > embedded windows.
    >
    > I would like the TextLabel or Button widgets to have transparent
    > backgrounds. My goal is to tile a bitmap on the Form canvas and have the
    > TextLabel overlay on top of that.
    >
    > Is it possible to create widgets with transparent background? *If so,
    > has anybody got some sample code (or know of another toolkit I can look
    > at) or a list of XLib API's I need call?
    >
    > Regards,
    > * - Graeme -

    > fpGUI - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascalhttp://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/

    Look at XShapeCombineMask()

    Also, the Xmu libraries have done this; see XmuReshapeWidget()
    --
    Fred Kleinschmidt

+ Reply to Thread