Different window IDs for the same window? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Different window IDs for the same window? - Xwindows ; Does it make sense that I'm getting different Window IDs for the same window? I'm retrieving one via VisibilityNotify events (event.xvisibility.window) and the other from using XGetWindowProperty for _NET_CLIENT_LIST (the results of which do correspond with what I get from ...

  1. Different window IDs for the same window?

    Does it make sense that I'm getting different Window IDs for the same
    window?

    I'm retrieving one via VisibilityNotify events
    (event.xvisibility.window) and the other from using XGetWindowProperty
    for _NET_CLIENT_LIST (the results of which do correspond with what I
    get from xprop -root|grep _NET_CLIENT_LIST\(W ). I'm pretty sure the
    window should be in both lists, I seem to be able to take screenshots
    from it with either ID.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Different window IDs for the same window?

    Rich writes:

    > Does it make sense that I'm getting different Window IDs for the same
    > window?

    Might one of those be the frame added by the window manager?
    Perhaps xwininfo -tree -root will reveal what is going on.

+ Reply to Thread