Alignment of widgets - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Alignment of widgets - Xwindows ; Hi, Assume a RowColumn and inside a button and two Bulletinboars as spacing. Using "pack column" all three widgets will have the same size; fine! Unfortunately, when changing the widht of the rowcolumn this does not have aneffect on the ...

  1. Alignment of widgets

    Hi,

    Assume a RowColumn and inside a button and two
    Bulletinboars as spacing. Using "pack column" all
    three widgets will have the same size; fine!

    Unfortunately, when changing the widht of the rowcolumn
    this does not have aneffect on the widgets because
    the button stays fitted to its size depending on the length
    of its title.

    I tried to switch off this behaviour by using "recompute size"
    but it didn't work...

    Can you help?

  2. Re: Alignment of widgets

    On Aug 14, 3:52*am, Thomas Lehmann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Assume a RowColumn and inside a button and two
    > Bulletinboars as spacing. Using "pack column" all
    > three widgets will have the same size; fine!
    >
    > Unfortunately, when changing the widht of the rowcolumn
    > this does not have aneffect on the widgets because
    > the button stays fitted to its size depending on the length
    > of its title.
    >
    > I tried to switch off this behaviour by using "recompute size"
    > but it didn't work...
    >
    > Can you help?

    Don't use a RowColumn. The RowColumn was written to support
    menus and menubars - it is a poor choice for anything else.

    Sounds like a simple XmForm would be much better.
    --
    Fred Kleinschmidt

  3. Re: Alignment of widgets

    On 14 Aug., 16:47, Fred wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 3:52*am, Thomas Lehmann wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > Assume a RowColumn and inside a button and two
    > > Bulletinboars as spacing. Using "pack column" all
    > > three widgets will have the same size; fine!

    > > Unfortunately, when changing the widht of the rowcolumn
    > > this does not have aneffect on the widgets because
    > > the button stays fitted to its size depending on the length
    > > of its title.

    > > I tried to switch off this behaviour by using "recompute size"
    > > but it didn't work...

    > > Can you help?

    > Don't use a RowColumn. The RowColumn was written to support
    > menus and menubars - it is a poor choice for anything else.
    >
    > Sounds like a simple XmForm would be much better.

    How can I ensure in a form two have three equal sized widgets?

  4. Re: Alignment of widgets

    On Aug 15, 4:26*am, Thomas Lehmann wrote:
    > On 14 Aug., 16:47, Fred wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 14, 3:52*am, Thomas Lehmann wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > Assume a RowColumn and inside a button and two
    > > > Bulletinboars as spacing. Using "pack column" all
    > > > three widgets will have the same size; fine!

    > > > Unfortunately, when changing the widht of the rowcolumn
    > > > this does not have aneffect on the widgets because
    > > > the button stays fitted to its size depending on the length
    > > > of its title.

    > > > I tried to switch off this behaviour by using "recompute size"
    > > > but it didn't work...

    > > > Can you help?

    > > Don't use a RowColumn. The RowColumn was written to support
    > > menus and menubars - it is a poor choice for anything else.

    > > Sounds like a simple XmForm would be much better.

    > How can I ensure in a form two have three equal sized widgets?- Hide quoted text -

    You have to determine each of their desiredsize, then
    If they are laid out horizontally:

    w1: left attachment = XmFORM
    rightAttachment = XmATTACH_POSITION
    rightPosition = 33

    w2: leftAttachment = XmATTACH_POSITIONT
    leftPosition = 33
    rightAttachment = XmATTACH_POSITION
    rightPosition = 67
    topAttachment = XmATTCH_OPPOSITE_WIDGET
    topWidget = w1
    bottomAttachment = XmATTCH_OPPOSITE_WIDGET
    bottomWidget = w1

    w3: leftAttachment = XmATTACH_POSITION
    leftPosition = 67
    rightAttachment = XmATTACH_FORM
    topAttachment = XmATTCH_OPPOSITE_WIDGET
    topWidget = w1
    bottomAttachment = XmATTCH_OPPOSITE_WIDGET
    bottomWidget = w1

    Or use an XmContainer with layout=XmSPATIAL, and
    spatialStyle=XmGRID

    --
    Fred Kleinschmdit

+ Reply to Thread