need two completely independent X servers running on linux withXorg release - Xwindows

This is a discussion on need two completely independent X servers running on linux withXorg release - Xwindows ; Hi. At one time, and on specific software/hardware combinations, the X server on linux allowed for not only multiple displays, but multiple input devices, where each input device was restricted to a specific screen :0 would use mouse1 :1 would ...

  1. need two completely independent X servers running on linux withXorg release

    Hi.

    At one time, and on specific software/hardware combinations, the X server
    on linux allowed for not only multiple displays, but multiple input
    devices, where each input device was restricted to a specific screen

    :0 would use mouse1

    :1 would use mouse2

    this was accomplished by running two separate X servers with different
    configuration files.

    Here's the problem, although there is some anecdotal evidence that it is
    possible, the modern systems don't seem to support it. Each X server
    attaches to a virtual terminal and the linux console system only allows
    one VT to be active at any time...so if :0 is running on VT07 and :1 is
    running on VT08, only one display is active at any given time. There were
    a couple of X command line switches that were suppose to address this
    problem (-novtswitch -sharevts) but they don't seem to work any longer.

    I MUST have the ability to run two X servers with independent I/O devices
    on the machine...and yes, I did install two nvidia video cards and
    specifically address each one in the xorg.conf file. :^)

    Now I know this will probably be over the head of most users but if
    someone familiar with this issue is lurking I'd love to get some
    information. The typical web searches addressing this problem are pretty
    much useless.

  2. Re: need two completely independent X servers running on linux with Xorg release

    No one wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > At one time, and on specific software/hardware combinations, the X server
    > on linux allowed for not only multiple displays, but multiple input
    > devices, where each input device was restricted to a specific screen
    >
    >:0 would use mouse1
    >
    >:1 would use mouse2
    >
    > this was accomplished by running two separate X servers with different
    > configuration files.
    >
    > Here's the problem, although there is some anecdotal evidence that it is
    > possible, the modern systems don't seem to support it. Each X server
    > attaches to a virtual terminal and the linux console system only allows
    > one VT to be active at any time...so if :0 is running on VT07 and :1 is
    > running on VT08, only one display is active at any given time. There were
    > a couple of X command line switches that were suppose to address this
    > problem (-novtswitch -sharevts) but they don't seem to work any longer.
    >
    > I MUST have the ability to run two X servers with independent I/O devices
    > on the machine...and yes, I did install two nvidia video cards and
    > specifically address each one in the xorg.conf file. :^)
    >
    > Now I know this will probably be over the head of most users but if
    > someone familiar with this issue is lurking I'd love to get some
    > information. The typical web searches addressing this problem are pretty
    > much useless.

    I did this years ago for a while in BSD. I think I passed an option to
    make the X server use a different configuration file for each X server.
    I was using a PCI video card, and an AGP video card at the time IIRC.
    There used to be a website about this, and some people at some
    university were using up to 8 mice on a single computer. It gets more
    complex if you use an aperture device for the video card.

    You may need to do some X.org hacking to get it working, I'm not sure
    these days.

    George

  3. Re: need two completely independent X servers running on linux with Xorg release

    GPS wrote:
    > No one wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> At one time, and on specific software/hardware combinations, the X server
    >> on linux allowed for not only multiple displays, but multiple input
    >> devices, where each input device was restricted to a specific screen
    >>
    >>:0 would use mouse1
    >>
    >>:1 would use mouse2
    >>
    >> this was accomplished by running two separate X servers with different
    >> configuration files.
    >>
    >> Here's the problem, although there is some anecdotal evidence that it is
    >> possible, the modern systems don't seem to support it. Each X server
    >> attaches to a virtual terminal and the linux console system only allows
    >> one VT to be active at any time...so if :0 is running on VT07 and :1 is
    >> running on VT08, only one display is active at any given time. There were
    >> a couple of X command line switches that were suppose to address this
    >> problem (-novtswitch -sharevts) but they don't seem to work any longer.
    >>
    >> I MUST have the ability to run two X servers with independent I/O devices
    >> on the machine...and yes, I did install two nvidia video cards and
    >> specifically address each one in the xorg.conf file. :^)
    >>
    >> Now I know this will probably be over the head of most users but if
    >> someone familiar with this issue is lurking I'd love to get some
    >> information. The typical web searches addressing this problem are pretty
    >> much useless.

    > I did this years ago for a while in BSD. I think I passed an option to
    > make the X server use a different configuration file for each X server.
    > I was using a PCI video card, and an AGP video card at the time IIRC.
    > There used to be a website about this, and some people at some
    > university were using up to 8 mice on a single computer. It gets more
    > complex if you use an aperture device for the video card.
    >
    > You may need to do some X.org hacking to get it working, I'm not sure
    > these days.

    Here's a link I just found that may help:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-mu...WTO/index.html

    George

  4. Re: need two completely independent X servers running on linux withXorg release

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:18:48 +0000, GPS wrote:

    > Here's a link I just found that may help:
    > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-mu...WTO/index.html
    >
    > George

    Yep. Been there. My sidekick said he has it working now. If I take him
    at face value he said that the DPMS/ACPI functions were interfering with
    two X server displays running via independent server processes. I'm not
    convinced yet because even though it has historically worked the linux
    console interface is in the usual (linux state of flux) and things are
    frequently being broken/fixed/changed with little to no supporting
    documentation.

    More to follow...

+ Reply to Thread