Z-index for window - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Z-index for window - Xwindows ; Hi, Is there any way to specify the z-index of two windows (of two different applications) in motif window manager? I have two applications which I need to switch between with user interaction. I would like one window to be ...

  1. Z-index for window

    Hi,

    Is there any way to specify the z-index of two windows
    (of two different applications) in motif window manager?

    I have two applications which I need to switch between
    with user interaction. I would like one window to be
    always above the other and then change dynamically
    through some UI action.

    Any help appreciated!

    regards,
    ilano

  2. Re: Z-index for window

    ilano writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any way to specify the z-index of two windows
    > (of two different applications) in motif window manager?
    >
    > I have two applications which I need to switch between
    > with user interaction. I would like one window to be
    > always above the other and then change dynamically
    > through some UI action.

    XRaiseWindow() and friends can be used to manipulate the stacking
    order. I'd like to point out, however, that I (and I presume, others)
    find it highly annoying when applications change the window stacking
    on their own. All window managers I've ever seen provide some way for
    the user to raise/lower windows without application support, and I've
    configured mine to ignore any stacking requests from apps.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: Z-index for window

    On Aug 1, 10:30*pm, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > ilano writes:
    > > Hi,

    > > Is there any way to specify the z-index of two windows
    > > (of two different applications) in motif window manager?

    > > I have two applications which I need to switch between
    > > with user interaction. I would like one window to be
    > > always above the other and then change dynamically
    > > through some UI action.

    > XRaiseWindow() and friends can be used to manipulate the stacking
    > order. *I'd like to point out, however, that I (and I presume, others)
    > find it highly annoying when applications change the window stacking
    > on their own. *All window managers I've ever seen provide some way for
    > the user to raise/lower windows without application support, and I've
    > configured mine to ignore any stacking requests from apps.
    >
    > --
    > Måns Rullgård
    > m...@mansr.com

    I am using motif window manager and the application frames are in Java

  4. Re: Z-index for window

    ilano writes:

    > On Aug 1, 10:30*pm, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> ilano writes:
    >> > Hi,

    >> > Is there any way to specify the z-index of two windows
    >> > (of two different applications) in motif window manager?

    >> > I have two applications which I need to switch between
    >> > with user interaction. I would like one window to be
    >> > always above the other and then change dynamically
    >> > through some UI action.

    >> XRaiseWindow() and friends can be used to manipulate the stacking
    >> order. *I'd like to point out, however, that I (and I presume, others)
    >> find it highly annoying when applications change the window stacking
    >> on their own. *All window managers I've ever seen provide some way for
    >> the user to raise/lower windows without application support, and I've
    >> configured mine to ignore any stacking requests from apps.

    > I am using motif window manager

    The window manager shouldn't matter, although it can of course
    override stacking requests from apps.

    > and the application frames are in Java

    Welcome to the wonderful world of Java: write once, debug everywhere.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

+ Reply to Thread