Xming hangs over wireless connection - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Xming hangs over wireless connection - Xwindows ; Hello- I'm using XMing at home to connect to an Ubuntu platform. The Ubuntu machine connects to the LAN via wireless. I have two Windows XP machines using Xming. One has a wired connection to the wireless router, and works ...

  1. Xming hangs over wireless connection

    Hello-

    I'm using XMing at home to connect to an Ubuntu platform. The Ubuntu
    machine connects to the LAN via wireless.

    I have two Windows XP machines using Xming. One has a wired connection
    to the wireless router, and works fine. The other uses a wireless
    connection to the LAN, and has problems.

    After a period of use, say half an hour to an hour or so, all the
    windows which the Ubuntu box has opened on the wireless Windows machine
    freeze. They can be moved, but they don't repaint if covered by other
    windows. And, of course, they don't accept any input either from the
    mouse or the keyboard.

    The only solution seems to be to restart Xming.

    This has happened in two different locations using two different
    wireless routers.

    Any suggestions on how to debug this?

    Thanks

    Peter

  2. Re: Xming hangs over wireless connection

    ,--- Peter Payzant writes:

    | Hello-

    | I'm using XMing at home to connect to an Ubuntu platform. The Ubuntu
    | machine connects to the LAN via wireless.

    | I have two Windows XP machines using Xming. One has a wired connection
    | to the wireless router, and works fine. The other uses a wireless
    | connection to the LAN, and has problems.

    | After a period of use, say half an hour to an hour or so, all the
    | windows which the Ubuntu box has opened on the wireless Windows
    | machine freeze. They can be moved, but they don't repaint if covered
    | by other windows. And, of course, they don't accept any input either
    | from the mouse or the keyboard.

    | The only solution seems to be to restart Xming.

    | This has happened in two different locations using two different
    | wireless routers.

    | Any suggestions on how to debug this?

    How about running Wireshark on both boxen and sniffing X11 packets, hmmm...?

    HTH
    Ashish
    --
    -- - --- - - - --- -- -- - - --- -- --- --

  3. Re: Xming hangs over wireless connection

    Ashish-

    Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Xming uses PuTTY to
    communicate with the Unix box, and so the X11 packets are encrypted. I
    suppose that there is a way to disable this, but it sure isn't obvious.
    Any clues?

    Peter

  4. Re: Xming hangs over wireless connection

    ,--- Peter Payzant writes:
    | Ashish-

    | Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Xming uses PuTTY to
    | communicate with the Unix box, and so the X11 packets are encrypted. I
    | suppose that there is a way to disable this, but it sure isn't
    | obvious. Any clues?

    Are you able to do anything in the SSH window opened by PuTTY, hmm..? I
    mean is underlying SSH connection is working or not.

    | Peter

    HTH
    --
    -- - --- - - - --- -- -- - - --- -- --- --

  5. Re: Xming hangs over wireless connection

    Is it possible to access some sort of underlying SSH connection while
    XMing is running? It might be instructive to have a look at this when it
    hangs.

    Peter

  6. Re: Xming hangs over wireless connection

    ,--[ On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 01:07:27AM +0000, Peter Payzant wrote:
    | Is it possible to access some sort of underlying SSH connection while
    | XMing is running? It might be instructive to have a look at this when it
    | hangs.

    I'm not sure about PuttY + Xming, but when I do X11 Forwarding from my
    GNU/Linux box, I pass argument '-Y' to ssh while logging into the remote
    box. I can work with shell, and at the same time have X applications
    running on my desktop too. So, if Putty + Xming also does that, try
    typing something on shell and see if the character echoes on the screen
    to confirm whether SSH connection is still alive or not.

    HTH

  7. Re: Xming hangs over wireless connection

    After some investigation, I now think that the problem is with TCP/IP on
    the Windows machine. I may have found a cure as well.

    Xming relies on PuTTY for communications with the Ubuntu box. There are
    lots of references on the web to a problem experienced by PuTTY users,
    where the connection goes down and a message appears, saying "Software
    caused connection abort." I have certainly seen this on the computer
    which is experiencing the XMing problem.

    The authors of PuTTY are aware of this, and have gone on record as
    saying that it's a Windows problem and that they don't want to hear
    about it any more. See this:

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s...aq-connaborted

    So, how to work around this problem? I found the following suggestion:

    http://repettas.wordpress.com/2008/0...t-too-quickly/

    where the author feels that a TCP/IP timeout in Windows is perhaps a
    little too aggressive. The timeout defaults to 5 tries, after which
    TCP/IP drops the connection. The author suggests raising it to something
    like 10.

    He recommends consulting the Microsoft knowledge base article 314053,
    which gives instructions for altering this timeout.

    I have now made this change, and so far my XMing connections are staying
    up. It's a very intermittent problem though, so I'm going to want
    several days of experience before I'm confident that this change has
    actually improved things.

    Peter

    Peter Payzant wrote:
    > Hello-
    >
    > I'm using XMing at home to connect to an Ubuntu platform. The Ubuntu
    > machine connects to the LAN via wireless.
    >
    > I have two Windows XP machines using Xming. One has a wired connection
    > to the wireless router, and works fine. The other uses a wireless
    > connection to the LAN, and has problems.
    >
    > After a period of use, say half an hour to an hour or so, all the
    > windows which the Ubuntu box has opened on the wireless Windows machine
    > freeze. They can be moved, but they don't repaint if covered by other
    > windows. And, of course, they don't accept any input either from the
    > mouse or the keyboard.
    >
    > The only solution seems to be to restart Xming.
    >
    > This has happened in two different locations using two different
    > wireless routers.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to debug this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter