Playing 4:3 games on widescreen - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Playing 4:3 games on widescreen - Xwindows ; Could someone please explain how a full screen game set to a pixel size of 1024x768 would show on a widescreen LCD monitor? Would it be stretched or have black bars at the left and right? Can X be configured ...

  1. Playing 4:3 games on widescreen

    Could someone please explain how a full screen game set to a pixel size of
    1024x768 would show on a widescreen LCD monitor? Would it be stretched or
    have black bars at the left and right? Can X be configured to do either
    one?

    Thank in advance,
    Charlie

  2. Re: Playing 4:3 games on widescreen

    CharlieB writes:

    > Could someone please explain how a full screen game set to a pixel size of
    > 1024x768 would show on a widescreen LCD monitor? Would it be stretched or
    > have black bars at the left and right? Can X be configured to do either
    > one?

    The available settings depend on the graphics card and driver used.
    Many modern cards with DVI outputs can be configured to scale (or not)
    the output to the size of the attached LCD panel. Likewise, all but
    the cheapest monitors let you choose which scaling mode to use. With
    any luck, there will be a combination of settings that gets you what
    you want.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: Playing 4:3 games on widescreen

    CharlieB wrote:
    > Could someone please explain how a full screen game set to a pixel size of
    > 1024x768 would show on a widescreen LCD monitor? Would it be stretched or
    > have black bars at the left and right? Can X be configured to do either
    > one?

    I let the monitor to stretch the 4:3 screen to 16:10. My monitor is
    Philips 220WS8.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.25