X access control - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X access control - Xwindows ; Hello How can I enable applications from localhost to be run on user's display. I have to execute "xhost +localhost" everytime I start a user's session. I put the following into user's ~/.bash_profile: export DISPLAY=:0.0 [ "$DISPLAY" != "" ] ...

  1. X access control

    Hello

    How can I enable applications from localhost to be run on user's
    display.
    I have to execute "xhost +localhost" everytime I start a user's
    session.

    I put the following into user's ~/.bash_profile:
    export DISPLAY=:0.0
    [ "$DISPLAY" != "" ] && xhost +

    but it takes long time to log on whne X server is not running.

    Is there any system wide file of where I can disable access control
    for localhost.
    If not how can I configure it correctly ?

    thank You for help

  2. Re: X access control

    In comp.windows.x, Witek Jarnas

    wrote
    on Wed, 23 Apr 2008 04:28:02 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > Hello
    >
    > How can I enable applications from localhost to be run on user's
    > display.
    > I have to execute "xhost +localhost" everytime I start a user's
    > session.
    >
    > I put the following into user's ~/.bash_profile:
    > export DISPLAY=:0.0
    > [ "$DISPLAY" != "" ] && xhost +
    >
    > but it takes long time to log on whne X server is not running.
    >
    > Is there any system wide file of where I can disable access control
    > for localhost.
    > If not how can I configure it correctly ?
    >
    > thank You for help

    If you actually have two hosts (the above is not all that
    clear), try using 'ssh -CXY user@remotehost'. More secure,
    if a bit slower because of encrypted communications.
    It should also take care of most of the access issues.

    If you are indeed trying to run localhost commands to your
    X server, then you've set up xdm/gdm/kdm incorrectly or
    are not using it at all. If you're not willing to use
    *dm and its login widget, use startx or xinit instead of
    starting the X server directly.

    It is also possible xauth is not working.

    You should not need to use xhost in a properly working system.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
    (1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".