X - use clipboard by default - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X - use clipboard by default - Xwindows ; Hello I would like an Xorg to use the clipboard instead of primary selection when copying text with mouse. Is it possible to configure X globally or each application requires its own clipboard configuration ? The most important for me ...

  1. X - use clipboard by default

    Hello
    I would like an Xorg to use the clipboard instead of primary selection
    when copying text with mouse.
    Is it possible to configure X globally
    or each application requires its own clipboard configuration ?

    The most important for me is to force xterm to use clipboard by
    default.
    I mostly use the following X applications:
    xpdf, xchm, oowriter, wine, firefox.

    Is there a generic way to configure them to use clipboard by
    default ?

    I'm aware of xclipboard, klipper and glipper tools but I don't want to
    use any intermediate tool.

    thank You for help

  2. Re: X - use clipboard by default

    On Apr 22, 2:53 am, Witek Jarnas wrote:
    > Hello
    > I would like an Xorg to use the clipboard instead of primary selection
    > when copying text with mouse.
    > Is it possible to configure X globally

    No.

    > or each application requires its own clipboard configuration ?

    Yes.

    > The most important for me is to force xterm to use clipboard by
    > default.
    > I mostly use the following X applications:
    > xpdf, xchm, oowriter, wine, firefox.

    oowriter and firefox both use both clipboards in the standard way, as
    in one for ephemeral selections and the other for explicit copy/paste.

    > Is there a generic way to configure them to use clipboard by
    > default ?

    You can configure xterm (it's buiried in the man page), by doing some
    fancy remapping of keys/buttons/actions. This might well work for
    other XT programs.

    More to the point, why are you trying to do this? If you tell us, we
    may be able to suggest a different way of accomnplishing it.

    -Ed
    --
    (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)(http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258)

    /d{def}def/f{/Times s selectfont}d/s{11}d/r{roll}d f 2/m{moveto}d -1
    r 230 350 m 0 1 179{ 1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 12
    d f pop 235 420 translate 0 0 moveto 1 2 scale show showpage

  3. Re: X - use clipboard by default

    On 22 Kwi, 19:15, Edward Rosten wrote:
    > On Apr 22, 2:53 am, Witek Jarnas wrote:
    >
    > > Hello
    > > I would like an Xorg to use theclipboardinstead of primary selection
    > > when copying text with mouse.
    > > Is it possible to configure X globally

    > No.
    >
    > > or each application requires its ownclipboardconfiguration ?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > The most important for me is to force xterm to useclipboardby
    > > default.
    > > I mostly use the following X applications:
    > > xpdf, xchm, oowriter, wine, firefox.

    > oowriter and firefox both use both clipboards in the standard way, as
    > in one for ephemeral selections and the other for explicit copy/paste.
    >
    > > Is there a generic way to configure them to useclipboardby
    > > default ?

    > You can configure xterm (it's buiried in the man page), by doing some
    > fancy remapping of keys/buttons/actions. This might well work for
    > other XT programs.
    >
    > More to the point, why are you trying to do this? If you tell us, we
    > may be able to suggest a different way of accomnplishing it.

    I have to use some application in wine and wine does not use selection
    but clipboard.
    That's why I have to use clipboard by default.
    If you know how to force wine to use selection by default it would be
    great solution to me.

    thank you for help

+ Reply to Thread