How to use ALPS GlidePoint touchpad in Xorg 7.3 (in FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (amd64)) ? - Xwindows

  1. How to use ALPS GlidePoint touchpad in Xorg 7.3 (in FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (amd64)) ?

    Hi,

    I'm having a ALPS GlidePoint touchpad on my HP Compaq Presario A920EE
    notebook. I've installed FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (amd64) and Gentoo Linux (amd64) on
    it. In Xorg running in Gentoo Linux, I'm able to use scrolling
    functionality of touchpad in Xorg in Gentoo, but not in Xorg in
    FreeBSD. Tapping works fine.

    Follwoing is my xorg.conf:

    - ----8<----8<----
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "X.org Configured"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Touchpad0" "CorePointer"
    # InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"
    RgbPath "/usr/local/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/bitstream-vera/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "dri"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "xtrap"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    Load "synaptics"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AllowEmptyInput"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Touchpad0"
    Driver "synaptics"

    Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
    Option "Protocol" "alps"
    Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    Option "LeftEdge" "130"
    Option "RightEdge" "840"
    Option "TopEdge" "130"
    Option "BottomEdge" "640"
    Option "FingerLow" "7"
    Option "FingerHigh" "8"
    Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
    Option "MinTapTime" "110"
    Option "ClickTime" "0"
    Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
    Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
    Option "MinSpeed" "0.40"
    Option "MaxSpeed" "0.65"
    Option "AccelFactor" "0.030"
    Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
    Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
    Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
    Option "CircularScrolling" "1"
    Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
    Option "CircScrollTrigger" "3"
    Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Monitor Model"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
    ### Values: : integer, : float, : "True"/"False",
    ### : "String", : " Hz/kHz/MHz"
    ### [arg]: arg optional
    #Option "ShadowFB" # []
    #Option "DefaultRefresh" # []
    #Option "ModeSetClearScreen" # []
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "intel"
    VendorName "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName "Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Virtual 2880 900
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    - ---->8---->8----

    Any ideas what should I do to get scrolling + tapping working fine in
    Xorg in FreeBSD ?

    TIA
    - --
    Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल http://wahjava.wordpress.com/

  2. Re: How to use ALPS GlidePoint touchpad in Xorg 7.3 (in FreeBSD7.0-RELEASE (amd64)) ?

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:39:55 +0530, Ashish Shukla आशीष श

    > Any ideas what should I do to get scrolling + tapping working fine in
    > Xorg in FreeBSD ?

    I'm about 5 months too late to help this poster but I'll stick an answer
    here anyway just in case a search engine leads someone here. The
    scribblings below are from my system notes. If you don't have a
    Synaptics, you'll need to make appropriate substitutions.

    Here are my notes:

    I finally got the touchpad to work in X11. It turns out you have to
    disable moused, which means the mouse won't work in a console
    terminal. That's OK because I do most of my work in xterms
    anyway.

    Doing just steps 1 and 2 gave me a working pointer both at the console
    and in X. However, in X the mouse buttonclick events would "stick" in
    the down position for about a half second before releasing. This caused
    all kinds of odd problems, for example clicking on a scrollbar would
    result in about 10 page-downs.

    The steps:

    1 - Add a hint to /boot/loader.conf
    2 - Edit /sys/dev/atkbdc.psm.c and recompile the kernel
    3 - disable the moused driver in /etc/rc.conf
    4 - add a hint to /boot/device.hints
    5 - Generate /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if it doesn't already exist)
    6 - Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    7 - Install the X11 synaptic drivers.
    8 - Reboot

    1 - Add a hint to /boot/loader.conf

    1) Add the following to /boot/loader.conf:
    hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"

    NOTE THAT that's "synaptics_support", not "synaptics.support"!

    Your system may not boot if you mess up loader.conf, so back it up
    before making any changes and make sure you have a repair disc handy!
    See "man loader.conf" if you have any questions about this file.

    2 - Edit /sys/dev/atkbdc.psm.c and recompile the kernel

    Edit /sys/dev/atkbdc/psm.c. (Don't forget to back it up first!)

    This first change is optional. All it does is turn off tap-to-click
    by default. You can get the same effect from the command line using
    "sysctl psm.tap_timeout=0". Conversely, you can re-enable tap-to-click
    after this change using "sysctl psm.tap_timeout=125000" (or whatever
    else you want to set it to).

    #ifndef PSM_TAP_TIMEOUT
    #define PSM_TAP_TIMEOUT 125000
    #endif

    Now the critical change: farther down, move the synaptics entry to the
    top of the list as shown here:

    } vendortype[] = {
    /*
    * WARNING: the order of probe is very important. Don't mess it
    * unless you know what you are doing.
    */
    { MOUSE_MODEL_SYNAPTICS, /* Synaptics Touchpad */
    0xc0, MOUSE_SYNAPTICS_PACKETSIZE, enable_synaptics, },
    { MOUSE_MODEL_NET, /* Genius NetMouse */
    0x08, MOUSE_PS2INTELLI_PACKETSIZE, enable_gmouse, },
    { MOUSE_MODEL_NETSCROLL, /* Genius NetScroll */
    0xc8, 6, enable_groller, },
    { MOUSE_MODEL_MOUSEMANPLUS, /* Logitech MouseMan+ */
    0x08, MOUSE_PS2_PACKETSIZE, enable_mmanplus, },
    { MOUSE_MODEL_EXPLORER, /* Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer */
    (etc.)

    Then recompile and reboot. Dmesg should show something like:
    psm0: irq 12 on atkbdc0
    psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0

    The touchpad should now be working, and if you set PSM_TAP_TIMEOUT to 0
    then that pesky tap-to-click should now be disabled. You can enable
    3-button emulation by adding 'moused_flags="-3"' to /etc/rc.conf.

    Running sysctl -a now shows the following. The first two lines were
    there before, but the hw.psm.synaptics lines only showed up after I
    got the touchpad to be recognized:

    hw.psm.tap_timeout: 0
    hw.psm.tap_threshold: 25
    hw.psm.synaptics.directional_scrolls: 1
    hw.psm.synaptics.low_speed_threshold: 20
    hw.psm.synaptics.min_movement: 2
    hw.psm.synaptics.squelch_level: 3

    3 - disable the moused driver in /etc/rc.conf

    Edit /etc/rc.conf. Add or edit to DISABLE the moused driver:

    moused_enable="NO"

    NOTE: This will disable the toucpad at the console but is necessary to
    make it work in X. I can have one or the other but I've not found a way
    to have it both ways.

    4 - add a hint to /boot/device.hints

    Add the following line to /boot/device.hints:

    hint.psm.0.flags="0x1000"

    NOTE: I'm not sure this is necessary. It's there from earlier
    experiments and once the touchpad was working I was loath to change
    anything.

    5 - Generate /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if it doesn't already exist)

    DO NOT DO THIS STEP IF YOU ALREADY HAVE /etc/X11/xorg.conf!!!

    There is no longer a default xorg.conf. Apparently xorg installs and
    runs without it, probably defaulting to vesa video drivers,etc. This is
    how you generate your first xorg.conf as a starting point.

    To generate an xorg.conf, log on as root and:

    cd /root
    xorg -configure

    To test it:

    xorg -config xorg.conf.new

    This just does a basic X screen and lets you check to see if the mouse
    is working. The only way out is to hit control-alt-backspace.

    If this works, then:

    cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    6 - Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    A) Comment out the Mouse0 line and add the Synaptics line:

    #InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "SynapticsTouchpad" "CorePointer"

    B) Under "Section Module", add:

    Load "synaptics"

    C) Comment out the entire block for the Mouse0 Inputdevice:

    #Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier "Mouse0"
    # Driver "mouse"
    # Option "Protocol" "auto"
    # Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
    # Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
    # Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    # Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
    #EndSection

    D) Create a new block for the touchpad. The string after "Identifier"
    must *exactly* match the string used after InputDevice in step A:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "SynapticsTouchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "CorePointer"
    # Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
    Option "Protocol" "psm"
    # Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
    Option "SHMConfig" "1"
    EndSection

    NOTE: SendCoreEvents is only needed if you have more than one pointing
    device. See "man xorg.conf" for details on handling multiple pointer
    devices.

    7 - Install the X11 synaptic drivers.

    cd /usr/ports/x11-drivers/synaptics
    make install
    cd /usr/ports/x11/gsynaptic
    make install

    8 - Reboot

    It should all work now. If there are problems, you might want to disable
    gdm and set up a .xinit in the user's directory to make troubleshooting
    easier. If no .xinit exists, just create one and put one line in it:

    /usr/local/bin/gnome-session

    To start gnome, just run startx now. If the mouse hangs, get out with
    control-alt-backspace.

    To see what kind of events the mouse is generating, run xev in a
    terminal and click on the test box. Look especially for the button event
    "sticking". That is, if you press and instantly release the button, xev
    should instantly list both events. If there's about a half-second pause
    before it lists the button-up event then chances are you left moused
    enabled in /etc/rc.conf.

  3. Re: How to use ALPS GlidePoint touchpad in Xorg 7.3 (in FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (amd64)) ?

  4. Re: How to use ALPS GlidePoint touchpad in Xorg 7.3 (in FreeBSD7.0-RELEASE (amd64)) ?

    In , over the hill wrote:
    >On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:39:55 +0530, Ashish Shukla आशीष श
    >
    >> Any ideas what should I do to get scrolling + tapping working fine in
    >> Xorg in FreeBSD ?

    >I'm about 5 months too late to help this poster but I'll stick an answer
    >here anyway just in case a search engine leads someone here. The
    >scribblings below are from my system notes. If you don't have a
    >Synaptics, you'll need to make appropriate substitutions.

    [...]

    >D) Create a new block for the touchpad. The string after "Identifier"
    > must *exactly* match the string used after InputDevice in step A:
    >
    >Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "SynapticsTouchpad"
    > Driver "synaptics"
    > Option "CorePointer"
    ># Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
    > Option "Protocol" "psm"

    Above line should read:
    Option "Protocol" "alps"

    for ALPS GlidePoint touchpads.

    The tapping works partially fine. i.e. I can't get right-button-click from a tap
    on bottom-right corner. And nor, I've any scrolling with Touchpad.

    Any ideas how to get these ?

    Thanks in advance.

    Ashish
    () ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML e-mail

  5. Re: How to use ALPS GlidePoint touchpad in Xorg 7.3 (in FreeBSD7.0-RELEASE (amd64)) ?

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:03:06 +0530, आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla wrote:

    > In , over the hill
    > wrote:
    >>On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:39:55 +0530, Ashish Shukla आशीष श
    >>
    >>> Any ideas what should I do to get scrolling + tapping working fine in
    >>> Xorg in FreeBSD ?

    >>I'm about 5 months too late to help this poster but I'll stick an answer
    >>here anyway just in case a search engine leads someone here. The
    >>scribblings below are from my system notes. If you don't have a
    >>Synaptics, you'll need to make appropriate substitutions.

    > [...]
    >
    >>D) Create a new block for the touchpad. The string after "Identifier"
    >> must *exactly* match the string used after InputDevice in step A:
    >>
    >>Section "InputDevice"
    >> Identifier "SynapticsTouchpad"
    >> Driver "synaptics"
    >> Option "CorePointer"
    >># Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    >> Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
    >> Option "Protocol" "psm"

    > Above line should read:
    > Option "Protocol" "alps"
    >
    > for ALPS GlidePoint touchpads.

    And I assume the Driver line is "alps", too?

    > The tapping works partially fine. i.e. I can't get right-button-click
    > from a tap on bottom-right corner. And nor, I've any scrolling with
    > Touchpad.

    Does dmesg show that you have an Alps now, or is it still just listing
    it as a mouse? Here's what dmesg shows for my synaptics:

    psm0: irq 12 on atkbdc0
    psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    psm0: [ITHREAD]
    psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0

    It may also be helpful to examine /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if X is
    seeing it as a touchpad (and as the correct one). Mine shows:

    (==) ServerLayout "X.org Configured"
    (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
    (**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
    (**) | |-->Device "Card0"
    (**) |-->Input Device "SynapticsTouchpad"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
    (**) Option "AllowEmptyInput"
    (=

    and then later:

    (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
    (**) Option "SHMConfig" "1"
    (--) SynapticsTouchpad synaptics touchpad found
    (--) Synaptics Touchpad, model: 0
    (--) Firmware: 5.9
    (--) Sensor: 35
    (--) new absolute packet format
    (--) Touchpad has extended capability bits
    (--) -> multifinger detection
    (--) -> palm detection
    (**) Option "CorePointer"
    (**) SynapticsTouchpad: always reports core events
    (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
    (**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
    (**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
    (etc.)

    > Any ideas how to get these ?

    I don't use them myself but I've played with them in the distant past
    and it was just a matter of adding the magic phrases to xorg.conf. On my
    system, "man synaptics" has a list of things you can put in xorg.conf. I
    don't know if you'll have that manpage for the alps or how thorough it
    might be. You can find the synaptics manpage online at:

    ("sektion"? Don't these FreeBSD guys know how to spell? )

    I don't know how this affects your alps, but with my synaptics I'm
    having a problem where every kernel recompile resets the touchpad to
    minimal sensitivity. The symptom is that the pointer only moves
    intermittently, and things improve very slightly if you apply more
    pressure. If that happens, I add the following two lines to my synaptics
    section in xorg.conf and restart X:

    Option "FingerLow" "25"
    Option "FingerHigh" "30"

    That usually gets the touchpad working well enough to get into
    gsynaptics. After that I comment out the lines again because they'll
    keep resetting the touchpad sensitivity to the above settings no matter
    what you set them to with an X touchpad utility. If there's no alps
    equivalent of gysnaptics, I'd just work out some good values and leave
    them in.

  6. Re: How to use ALPS GlidePoint touchpad in Xorg 7.3 (in FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (amd64)) ?

    over the hill writes:
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:03:06 +0530, आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla wrote:

    [...]

    >>> Section "InputDevice"
    >>> Identifier "SynapticsTouchpad"
    >>> Driver "synaptics"
    >>> Option "CorePointer"
    >>> # Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    >>> Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
    >>> Option "Protocol" "psm"

    >> Above line should read:
    >> Option "Protocol" "alps"
    >>
    >> for ALPS GlidePoint touchpads.

    > And I assume the Driver line is "alps", too?

    Nop, synaptics is the driver for Alps touchpads also.

    ,----
    `----

    ,----
    `----

    ,----

    `----

    >> Any ideas how to get these ?

    > I don't use them myself but I've played with them in the distant past
    > and it was just a matter of adding the magic phrases to xorg.conf. On my
    > system, "man synaptics" has a list of things you can put in xorg.conf. I
    > don't know if you'll have that manpage for the alps or how thorough it
    > might be. You can find the synaptics manpage online at:

    > ("sektion"? Don't these FreeBSD guys know how to spell? )

    > I don't know how this affects your alps, but with my synaptics I'm
    > having a problem where every kernel recompile resets the touchpad to
    > minimal sensitivity. The symptom is that the pointer only moves
    > intermittently, and things improve very slightly if you apply more
    > pressure. If that happens, I add the following two lines to my synaptics
    > section in xorg.conf and restart X:

    > Option "FingerLow" "25"
    > Option "FingerHigh" "30"

    > That usually gets the touchpad working well enough to get into
    > gsynaptics. After that I comment out the lines again because they'll
    > keep resetting the touchpad sensitivity to the above settings no matter
    > what you set them to with an X touchpad utility. If there's no alps
    > equivalent of gysnaptics, I'd just work out some good values and leave
    > them in.

    Above settings which I've posted (in excerpt from Xorg.0.log) works
    fine with Xorg running on my Gentoo GNU/Linux on the same notebook,
    but not in FreeBSD. Another problem is Xorg doesn't detect hotplugging
    of USB mouse, which it used to detect, when working with moused.

    Anyways, thanks for the help.

    Ashish Shukla
    - --
    () ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML e-mail

  7. Re: How to use ALPS GlidePoint touchpad in Xorg 7.3 (in FreeBSD7.0-RELEASE (amd64)) ?

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 00:12:25 +0530, Ashish Shukla आशीष श
    ुक्ल wrote:

    > over the hill writes:
    >> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:03:06 +0530, आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla wrote:

    > Above settings which I've posted (in excerpt from Xorg.0.log) works fine
    > with Xorg running on my Gentoo GNU/Linux on the same notebook, but not
    > in FreeBSD. Another problem is Xorg doesn't detect hotplugging of USB
    > mouse, which it used to detect, when working with moused.

    FreeBSD's always such an adventure. :-(

    > Anyways, thanks for the help.

    Sorry I couldn't help more. It's always worked for me so I never learned
    what to do next.