How to use xscope? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on How to use xscope? - Xwindows ; I am having trouble figuring out how to use xscope to view the traffic generated by my application. I'd appreciate some help. Some details: 1) I have a VNC Server running on pa:99 2) My VNC Client executed on a ...

  1. How to use xscope?

    I am having trouble figuring out how to use xscope to view the traffic
    generated by my application. I'd appreciate some help.

    Some details:

    1) I have a VNC Server running on pa:99
    2) My VNC Client executed on a PC running XP (is this even relevant?)
    3) I start up my application from an xterm window

    How do I use xscope to see what events get generated as I do things in
    the application?

    Thanks.

    ....Jake

    --
    Jake Colman
    Director of Software Development

  2. Re: How to use xscope?

    On Apr 14, 12:52 pm, Jake Colman wrote:
    > I am having trouble figuring out how to use xscope to view the traffic
    > generated by my application. I'd appreciate some help.
    >
    > Some details:
    >
    > 1) I have a VNC Server running on pa:99
    > 2) My VNC Client executed on a PC running XP (is this even relevant?)
    > 3) I start up my application from an xterm window
    >
    > How do I use xscope to see what events get generated as I do things in
    > the application?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ...Jake

    I apologize for following up my own post but...

    I figured out how to execute xscope for my environment:

    In one xterm, I execute the following:

    xhost +
    /usr/X/demo/xscope -o99 -i100

    In another xterm, I execute the following:

    export DISPLAY=pa:100.0
    myApp

    The problem I have now is that everything hangs once it starts to
    generate any kind of serious X traffic. Is there another way to do
    this so that it actually works for? When I say "hang", my VNC session
    becomes totally unresponsive. If I kill my client I can reconnect but
    it is still unresponsive. If I login elsewhere and kill xscope, it
    all starts to work again.

    I'd appreciate any help.

    ....Jake

  3. Re: How to use xscope?

    jake.colman@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 14, 12:52 pm, Jake Colman wrote:
    >

    > The problem I have now is that everything hangs once it starts to
    > generate any kind of serious X traffic. Is there another way to do
    > this so that it actually works for? When I say "hang", my VNC session
    > becomes totally unresponsive. If I kill my client I can reconnect but
    > it is still unresponsive. If I login elsewhere and kill xscope, it
    > all starts to work again.

    I find that piping the output from xscope into a file (instead of having
    it just display as it goes) sometimes helps these kinds of hangs. It
    doesn't always work but sometimes it does.

    Jim Lahue

  4. Re: How to use xscope?

    On Apr 14, 2:57*pm, jake.col...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 14, 12:52 pm, Jake Colman wrote:
    >

    > > I am having trouble figuring out how to use xscope to view the traffic
    > > generated by my application. *I'd appreciate some help.

    > > Some details:

    > > 1) I have a VNC Server running on pa:99
    > > 2) My VNC Client executed on a PC running XP (is this even relevant?)
    > > 3) I start up my application from an xterm window

    > > How do I use xscope to see what events get generated as I do things in
    > > the application?

    > > Thanks.

    > > ...Jake

    > I apologize for following up my own post but...
    >
    > I figured out how to execute xscope for my environment:
    >
    > In one xterm, I execute the following:
    >
    > xhost +
    > /usr/X/demo/xscope -o99 -i100
    >
    > In another xterm, I execute the following:
    >
    > export DISPLAY=pa:100.0
    > myApp
    >
    > The problem I have now is that everything hangs once it starts to
    > generate any kind of serious X traffic. *Is there another way to do
    > this so that it actually works for? *When I say "hang", my VNC session
    > becomes totally unresponsive. *If I kill my client I can reconnect but
    > it is still unresponsive. *If I login elsewhere and kill xscope, it
    > all starts to work again.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help.

    It may depend on whether you are using an XTerminal, a remote
    terminal,
    or your platform's main terminal.

    I always ran everything from a single xterm:

    On Xterminal or remote, (where xxx is the node's IP address):
    $> xscope -i100 -o0 -hxxx $> myprogram -display xxx:100

    Or if running on the node's terminal:
    $> xscope -i100 $> myprogram -display xxx:3

    Note the redirection of the input for xscope.

    --
    Fred Kleinschmidt

  5. Re: How to use xscope?

    flk> On Apr 14, 2:57*pm, jake.col...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Apr 14, 12:52 pm, Jake Colman wrote:
    >>

    >> > I am having trouble figuring out how to use xscope to view the traffic
    >> > generated by my application. *I'd appreciate some help.

    >> > Some details:

    >> > 1) I have a VNC Server running on pa:99
    >> > 2) My VNC Client executed on a PC running XP (is this even relevant?)
    >> > 3) I start up my application from an xterm window

    >> > How do I use xscope to see what events get generated as I do things in
    >> > the application?

    >> > Thanks.

    >> > ...Jake

    >> I apologize for following up my own post but...
    >>
    >> I figured out how to execute xscope for my environment:
    >>
    >> In one xterm, I execute the following:
    >>
    >> xhost +
    >> /usr/X/demo/xscope -o99 -i100
    >>
    >> In another xterm, I execute the following:
    >>
    >> export DISPLAY=pa:100.0
    >> myApp
    >>
    >> The problem I have now is that everything hangs once it starts to
    >> generate any kind of serious X traffic. *Is there another way to do
    >> this so that it actually works for? *When I say "hang", my VNC session
    >> becomes totally unresponsive. *If I kill my client I can reconnect but
    >> it is still unresponsive. *If I login elsewhere and kill xscope, it
    >> all starts to work again.
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate any help.

    flk> It may depend on whether you are using an XTerminal, a remote
    flk> terminal,
    flk> or your platform's main terminal.

    flk> I always ran everything from a single xterm:

    flk> On Xterminal or remote, (where xxx is the node's IP address):
    flk> $> xscope -i100 -o0 -hxxx flk> $> myprogram -display xxx:100

    flk> Or if running on the node's terminal:
    flk> $> xscope -i100 flk> $> myprogram -display xxx:3

    flk> Note the redirection of the input for xscope.

    Fred,

    I have tried your suggestion. I have also tried executing xscope on a
    machine other than the one hosting my X Server and have even tried using
    three machine such that the X Server, xscope, and the program that I am
    trying to monitor are all on different machines. In all cases the
    application freezes and I need to kill xscope.

    Any suggestions for me?

    The reason that I am doing this is because I am experiencing performance
    issues when deleting windows. It takes me less time to create 500
    shells than it does to destroy them. I am grasping at straws here but I
    was hoping xscope might tell me what traffic is being generated as I
    destroy my windows. Do you have any suggestions for either using xscope
    or something similar to gain some insight or, better yet, any
    suggestions on how I can analyze and fix my performance issue?

    Thanks.

    ....Jake