State of the art of partial transparency? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on State of the art of partial transparency? - Xwindows ; Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I can't seem to find it answered anywhere in the past 8 years. What's the state of the art with regard to partial, per-pixel transparent windows under X (x.org, I suppose)? I'm a ...

  1. State of the art of partial transparency?

    Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I can't seem to find it answered anywhere
    in the past 8 years. What's the state of the art with regard to
    partial, per-pixel transparent windows under X (x.org, I suppose)? I'm
    a bit out of the loop on X, but from what I know of RENDER, COMPOSITE,
    and that batch of extensions, I don't think they allow it; my
    impression is that they make per-window alpha blending possible only.

    If this is in fact possible, a pointer to what extension/API to use
    would be most welcome, even if it's gnome/kde specific (though that's
    not preferred, of course).

    Thanks!

    Damian

  2. Re: State of the art of partial transparency?

    On Apr 11, 5:53 pm, Damian Frank wrote:
    > Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I can't seem to find it answered anywhere
    > in the past 8 years. What's the state of the art with regard to
    > partial, per-pixel transparent windows under X (x.org, I suppose)? I'm
    > a bit out of the loop on X, but from what I know of RENDER, COMPOSITE,
    > and that batch of extensions, I don't think they allow it; my
    > impression is that they make per-window alpha blending possible only.
    >
    > If this is in fact possible, a pointer to what extension/API to use
    > would be most welcome, even if it's gnome/kde specific (though that's
    > not preferred, of course).
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Damian

  3. Re: State of the art of partial transparency?

    On Apr 11, 5:53 pm, Damian Frank wrote:
    > Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I can't seem to find it answered anywhere
    > in the past 8 years. What's the state of the art with regard to
    > partial, per-pixel transparent windows under X (x.org, I suppose)? I'm
    > a bit out of the loop on X, but from what I know of RENDER, COMPOSITE,
    > and that batch of extensions, I don't think they allow it; my
    > impression is that they make per-window alpha blending possible only.

    COMPOSITE "causes a entire sub-tree of the window hierarchy to be
    rendered to an off-screen buffer.", according to
    http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/CompositeExt

    You can then splat it on screen using whatever technique you want.

    -Ed
    --
    (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)(http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258)

    /d{def}def/f{/Times s selectfont}d/s{11}d/r{roll}d f 2/m{moveto}d -1
    r 230 350 m 0 1 179{ 1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 12
    d f pop 235 420 translate 0 0 moveto 1 2 scale show showpage

+ Reply to Thread