Pointer vanishing on HP laptop - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Pointer vanishing on HP laptop - Xwindows ; Hi I have an HP pavillion laptop which is has geforce graphics and so uses the nv nvidia driver on a Suse 10.3 dist.. Occasionally the X server will crash (google earth is good for causing this) but when I ...

  1. Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    Hi

    I have an HP pavillion laptop which is has geforce graphics and so
    uses the nv nvidia driver on a Suse 10.3 dist.. Occasionally the X
    server will crash (google earth is good for causing this) but when I
    brought it back up the mouse pointer/cursor wasn't there. Reboots made
    no difference. The only way to solve the problem was to force X to use
    a software cursor.

    Is this a known bug with the Xorg X server, the nv driver or do I just
    have a bad graphics card?

    B2003

  2. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    Boltar wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an HP pavillion laptop which is has geforce graphics and so
    > uses the nv nvidia driver on a Suse 10.3 dist.. Occasionally the X
    > server will crash (google earth is good for causing this) but when I
    > brought it back up the mouse pointer/cursor wasn't there. Reboots made
    > no difference. The only way to solve the problem was to force X to use
    > a software cursor.
    >
    > Is this a known bug with the Xorg X server, the nv driver or do I just
    > have a bad graphics card?

    I would suggest you try nvidia driver instead of nv
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_169.12.html
    or
    http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA
    Google earsh needs OpenGL 3D accelerated X server, and
    if you use the nvidia drivers it will run like a charm.

    Best regards,

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  3. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    Boltar wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an HP pavillion laptop which is has geforce graphics and so
    > uses the nv nvidia driver on a Suse 10.3 dist.. Occasionally the X
    > server will crash (google earth is good for causing this) but when I
    > brought it back up the mouse pointer/cursor wasn't there. Reboots made
    > no difference. The only way to solve the problem was to force X to use
    > a software cursor.
    >
    > Is this a known bug with the Xorg X server, the nv driver or do I just
    > have a bad graphics card?
    >
    > B2003

    Does the pointer reappear if you turn the laptop off and then back on?

  4. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    On Mar 31, 1:24 pm, YANSWBVCG wrote:
    > Does the pointer reappear if you turn the laptop off and then back on?

    Yes, but it won't re-appear if I just restart the X server so I'm
    guessing some conifguration stored on the graphics card itself is to
    blame.

    B2003

  5. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    On Mar 31, 1:07 pm, arahne wrote:
    > I would suggest you try nvidia driver instead of nvhttp://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.12.html
    > orhttp://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA
    > Google earsh needs OpenGL 3D accelerated X server, and
    > if you use the nvidia drivers it will run like a charm.

    Looks like a lot of hassle too. Didn't realise there was an nvidia
    kernel module also! What on earth is that for?

    B2003

  6. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    Boltar wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 1:24 pm, YANSWBVCG wrote:
    >> Does the pointer reappear if you turn the laptop off and then back on?

    > Yes, but it won't re-appear if I just restart the X server so I'm
    > guessing some conifguration stored on the graphics card itself is to
    > blame.
    >
    > B2003

    I have had a problem with disappearing cursors using OpenBSD which I
    could only fix by cycling the power. I'm using an ATI Sa[phire video
    card. That problem plus others that occur when I'm running X lead me to
    conclude that X has an exploit that can mess with the mouse. I think
    there are also problems with Konsole. I now have switched to xterm as my
    console window to avoid using Konsole. Konsole can be started from the
    kde start application menu even tho I have chmoded konsole to 000.

  7. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    On Mar 31, 3:14 pm, YANSWBVCG wrote:
    > You might also check to see whether you can boot to bios, whether your
    > bios checksum is correct, and whether you can access your usb drives.

    No problems there , why would that affect it?

    > Are you running on an AMD64 chip?

    Don't think its 64 bit , its a Sempron.

    B2003

  8. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    Boltar wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 3:14 pm, YANSWBVCG wrote:
    >> You might also check to see whether you can boot to bios, whether your
    >> bios checksum is correct, and whether you can access your usb drives.

    > No problems there , why would that affect it?

    Those problems, plus an inability to open my cdrom drive, all started
    occuring about the same time that I started having trouble with my
    mouse. All the problems except for opening the cdrom drive seem to have
    corrected themselves.

    >> Are you running on an AMD64 chip?

    > Don't think its 64 bit , its a Sempron.

    Newer Semprons have 64-bit capability.

    > B2003

  9. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    Boltar wrote:
    > Looks like a lot of hassle too.

    If the one click link for suse 10.3 is too much hassle
    http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA
    then you are going to have a hard time using SUSE Linux.
    Try Ubuntu.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/nvidia

    > Didn't realise there was an nvidia
    > kernel module also! What on earth is that for?

    Kernel module is needed so the software can access
    the hardware functions.
    The nv open source driver does not support hardware
    3D acceleration, and many other advanced features
    which Nvidia cards support. The closed source driver,
    available for free from nvidia site, fully supports
    3D and generally behaves better during virtual terminal
    switching. Nvidia even makes a nice gui program for
    setting the advanced graphics card parameters.
    http://www.emcken.dk/weblog/uploads/...erSettings.png

    Best regards,

    Dušan Peterc
    http://www.arahne.si

  10. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    Boltar wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an HP pavillion laptop which is has geforce graphics and so
    > uses the nv nvidia driver on a Suse 10.3 dist.. Occasionally the X
    > server will crash (google earth is good for causing this) but when I
    > brought it back up the mouse pointer/cursor wasn't there. Reboots made
    > no difference. The only way to solve the problem was to force X to use
    > a software cursor.
    >
    > Is this a known bug with the Xorg X server, the nv driver or do I just
    > have a bad graphics card?
    >
    > B2003

    It sounds like a bug in the initialization of some hardware cursor state
    for the nv driver. I suppose you should probably report it to X.org

    Perhaps getting a usable backtrace for the crash would help too.

    George

  11. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    On Mar 31, 6:38 pm, arahne wrote:
    > Boltar wrote:
    > > Looks like a lot of hassle too.

    > If the one click link for suse 10.3 is too much hasslehttp://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA
    > then you are going to have a hard time using SUSE Linux.
    > Try Ubuntu.http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/nvidia
    >
    > > Didn't realise there was an nvidia
    > > kernel module also! What on earth is that for?

    > Kernel module is needed so the software can access
    > the hardware functions.

    But the X server runs as root, there should be no problem with the X
    drivers accessing the hardware.

    B2003

  12. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    On 2008-04-01, Boltar wrote:
    > On Mar 31, 6:38 pm, arahne wrote:
    >
    >> Kernel module is needed so the software can access
    >> the hardware functions.

    > But the X server runs as root, there should be no problem with
    > the X drivers accessing the hardware.

    Permission is not all there is to it. For various reasons such
    as latency or access to the kernel API, certains things are
    impractical or impossible to do outside of the kernel.

    When my FX5200 stopped working, I switched to ATI to avoid the
    inconvenience of proprietary drivers. I get very mediocre 3D
    performance but I don't have to install any proprietary
    software. Entirely vanilla kernel and X server.

    --
    Andr Majorel
    (Counterfeit: peh@snail.com vywugak@cereus.com)

  13. Re: Pointer vanishing on HP laptop

    On 31 Mar, 18:38, arahne wrote:
    > Boltar wrote:
    > > Looks like a lot of hassle too.

    > If the one click link for suse 10.3 is too much hasslehttp://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA
    > then you are going to have a hard time using SUSE Linux.

    Its hassle because Suse updates have a habit of going wrong quite
    often. I actually trat their nvidia update tonight and after it had
    spent 5 minutes downloading irrelevant patches it finally downloaded
    the nvidia kit which bricked the X server - it got stuck in an endless
    error loop when trying to start. Luckily I know my way around xorg and
    could fix the links and I'd already backed up xorg.conf, but someone
    who isn't technically minded would have been stuck with a command
    prompt if they were lucky (or xdm/kdm stuck in a loop if they weren't)
    and bugger all help. Typical Suse.

    B2003

+ Reply to Thread