xpm.h ? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on xpm.h ? - Xwindows ; I am trying to compile an application that needs X pixmaps. I do not have root on the machine I'm using so does anyone know where I can get xpm.h and how I can tell gcc to compile in the ...

  1. xpm.h ?

    I am trying to compile an application that needs X pixmaps. I do not
    have root on the machine I'm using so does anyone know where I can get
    xpm.h and how I can tell gcc to compile in the local version which
    I'll download?

    checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
    checking for main in -lXpm... no
    checking for X11/xpm.h... no

    Zach

  2. Re: xpm.h ?

    In comp.windows.x, Zach

    wrote
    on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:41:09 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > I am trying to compile an application that needs X pixmaps. I do not
    > have root on the machine I'm using so does anyone know where I can get
    > xpm.h and how I can tell gcc to compile in the local version which
    > I'll download?
    >
    > checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
    > checking for main in -lXpm... no
    > checking for X11/xpm.h... no
    >
    > Zach

    There should be a libXpm package that should include
    /usr/include/X11/xpm.h, among other things.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  3. Re: xpm.h ?

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > In comp.windows.x, Zach
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:41:09 -0700 (PDT)
    > :
    >> I am trying to compile an application that needs X pixmaps. I do not
    >> have root on the machine I'm using so does anyone know where I can get
    >> xpm.h and how I can tell gcc to compile in the local version which
    >> I'll download?
    >>
    >> checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
    >> checking for main in -lXpm... no
    >> checking for X11/xpm.h... no
    >>
    >> Zach

    > There should be a libXpm package that should include
    > /usr/include/X11/xpm.h, among other things.

    If you put libxpm in a non-standard place,
    most configure scripts will give you a "with" option
    to say where it is:

    --with-xpm-includes=/home/my/include --with-xpm-library=/home/my/lib

    If not, there is always CCFLAGS, LDFLAGS.

  4. Re: xpm.h ?

    In comp.windows.x, Dan Espen

    wrote
    on Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:36:42 GMT
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine writes:
    >
    >> In comp.windows.x, Zach
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:41:09 -0700 (PDT)
    >> :
    >>> I am trying to compile an application that needs X pixmaps. I do not
    >>> have root on the machine I'm using so does anyone know where I can get
    >>> xpm.h and how I can tell gcc to compile in the local version which
    >>> I'll download?
    >>>
    >>> checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
    >>> checking for main in -lXpm... no
    >>> checking for X11/xpm.h... no
    >>>
    >>> Zach

    >> There should be a libXpm package that should include
    >> /usr/include/X11/xpm.h, among other things.

    > If you put libxpm in a non-standard place,
    > most configure scripts will give you a "with" option
    > to say where it is:
    >
    > --with-xpm-includes=/home/my/include --with-xpm-library=/home/my/lib
    >
    > If not, there is always CCFLAGS, LDFLAGS.

    I've not personally run into that problem with Gentoo but that is
    another possibility, depending on Zach's system setup.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  5. Re: xpm.h ?

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > In comp.windows.x, Dan Espen
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sun, 30 Mar 2008 15:36:42 GMT
    > :
    >> The Ghost In The Machine writes:
    >>
    >>> In comp.windows.x, Zach
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:41:09 -0700 (PDT)
    >>> :

    >>> There should be a libXpm package that should include
    >>> /usr/include/X11/xpm.h, among other things.

    >> If you put libxpm in a non-standard place,
    >> most configure scripts will give you a "with" option
    >> to say where it is:
    >>
    >> --with-xpm-includes=/home/my/include --with-xpm-library=/home/my/lib
    >>
    >> If not, there is always CCFLAGS, LDFLAGS.

    > I've not personally run into that problem with Gentoo but that is
    > another possibility, depending on Zach's system setup.

    A Linux system is almost always under a desktop users control.
    The OP said he didn't have root. I'm guessing, it's not Linux
    but that shouldn't matter.

    I've installed a TON of software from source without root.
    The above instructions fixed almost every problem I ran into.

+ Reply to Thread