Convincing xorg.conf I know best? - Xwindows

This is a discussion on Convincing xorg.conf I know best? - Xwindows ; I have a ten year old monitor that does 1600x1200 and looks magnificent. I have used it in this resolution ever since it was new. But I upgraded to debian stable, and the resolution keeps dropping to 1280x960. That is ...

  1. Convincing xorg.conf I know best?

    I have a ten year old monitor that does 1600x1200 and looks magnificent.
    I have used it in this resolution ever since it was new. But I upgraded
    to debian stable, and the resolution keeps dropping to 1280x960. That is
    the advertised rating for this monitor, but I know it has worked ten
    years on a higher one and I declare it perfectly safe at that
    resolution. If I turn the monitor off while X boots up, it comes up
    perfectly in 1600x1200. So obviously some check is being done against
    the rated specs. Does anyone know how to turn this check off and
    convince X that I know best and it should just do what I say?

    Cheers,
    --
    Ron House house@usq.edu.au
    http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/house

  2. Re: Convincing xorg.conf I know best?

    On 2008-03-26, Ron House wrote:

    > I have a ten year old monitor that does 1600x1200 and looks
    > magnificent. I have used it in this resolution ever since it
    > was new. But I upgraded to debian stable, and the resolution
    > keeps dropping to 1280x960. That is the advertised rating for
    > this monitor, but I know it has worked ten years on a higher
    > one and I declare it perfectly safe at that resolution. If I
    > turn the monitor off while X boots up, it comes up perfectly
    > in 1600x1200. So obviously some check is being done against
    > the rated specs. Does anyone know how to turn this check off
    > and convince X that I know best and it should just do what I
    > say?

    A few years back, around the time of the Xorg fork, the X
    server's built-in modes changed. It could be that the old server
    had a suitable 1600 x 1200 built-in mode and not the new one. If
    that is the case, you could start the old X server in 1600 x
    1200, get the 1600 x 1200 modeline either with xvidtune or
    perhaps from XFree86.0.log and add a matching "Modeline"
    directive to your xorg.conf (in the "Monitor" section).

    --
    André Majorel
    (Counterfeit: zyh@moyer.com erot@cometh.com)

  3. Re: Convincing xorg.conf I know best?

    Ron House writes:

    > I have a ten year old monitor that does 1600x1200 and looks
    > magnificent. I have used it in this resolution ever since it was
    > new. But I upgraded to debian stable, and the resolution keeps
    > dropping to 1280x960. That is the advertised rating for this monitor,
    > but I know it has worked ten years on a higher one and I declare it
    > perfectly safe at that resolution. If I turn the monitor off while X
    > boots up, it comes up perfectly in 1600x1200.

    it looks like the X server asks the monitor characteristics using the
    EDID protocol

    > So obviously some check is being done against the rated specs. Does
    > anyone know how to turn this check off and convince X that I know
    > best and it should just do what I say?

    i had a similar problem with a 13 years old monitor that goes
    1400x1050 with great aplomb, and i solved using, in the screen section
    of xorg.conf, the option UseEDID=false

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600]"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option "UseEDID" "false"

    i don't remember if it is a generic option of the screen section or it
    is specific of the driver (nv) that i use --- in the second case, i
    hope that you can find a similar configuration option for your driver

    hth,
    gb
    --
    e di sùbito parve giorno a giorno