X protocol and Xlib docs - Xwindows

This is a discussion on X protocol and Xlib docs - Xwindows ; I'm looking for an authoritative source for documentation on the X protocol, including all extensions to date, and the Xlib API. Google has found some, but they either appear to be old, or are from suspect sources. -- |---------------------------------------/----------------------------------| | ...

  1. X protocol and Xlib docs

    I'm looking for an authoritative source for documentation on the X protocol,
    including all extensions to date, and the Xlib API. Google has found some,
    but they either appear to be old, or are from suspect sources.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2008-03-03-2028@ipal.net |

  2. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    phil-news-nospam@ipal.net writes:

    > I'm looking for an authoritative source for documentation on the X protocol,
    > including all extensions to date, and the Xlib API. Google has found some,
    > but they either appear to be old, or are from suspect sources.

    I'm not sure about the protocol, but the Xlib API reference can be
    found at http://www.xfree.org/current/xlib.pdf. Seems trustworthy
    enough for me.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 09:07:16 +0000 M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
    | phil-news-nospam@ipal.net writes:
    |
    |> I'm looking for an authoritative source for documentation on the X protocol,
    |> including all extensions to date, and the Xlib API. Google has found some,
    |> but they either appear to be old, or are from suspect sources.
    |
    | I'm not sure about the protocol, but the Xlib API reference can be
    | found at http://www.xfree.org/current/xlib.pdf. Seems trustworthy
    | enough for me.

    Ah, turns out they put a lot of docs in that directory. But with no link
    on the main page, I guess Google didn't get there or didn't weight it
    enough.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2008-03-04-0746@ipal.net |

  4. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    On Mar 4, 5:07 am, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > phil-news-nos...@ipal.net writes:
    > > I'm looking for an authoritative source for documentation on the X protocol,
    > > including all extensions to date, and the Xlib API. Google has found some,
    > > but they either appear to be old, or are from suspect sources.

    > I'm not sure about the protocol, but the Xlib API reference can be
    > found athttp://www.xfree.org/current/xlib.pdf. Seems trustworthy
    > enough for me.
    >
    > --
    > Måns Rullgård
    > m...@mansr.com

    Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's very close to the
    question I have....
    I got some .txt files from 'ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc'
    but I can't seem to get them converted properly
    using *roff, doxygen, text2*, etc.

    The formatting seems really simple, but I can't
    find what the format is anywhere on the x.org
    site.

    Can anyone tell me what the format is, and/or
    what tools I need to correctly convert the
    .txt files to pdf | ps | html ???

    As an aside, I got the widgets.txt and the icccm.txt;
    the former because I believe it's a reference to the
    base Xaw functionality (Xt and intrinsics?), and
    the latter because some (most?) of the FAQs
    say it's the M in RTFM.

    TIA,
    Tarkin

  5. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    In comp.windows.x, Tarkin

    wrote
    on Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
    <772a6b45-9067-4935-ac46-87bf027fe7f3@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Mar 4, 5:07 am, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> phil-news-nos...@ipal.net writes:
    >> > I'm looking for an authoritative source for documentation on the X protocol,
    >> > including all extensions to date, and the Xlib API. Google has found some,
    >> > but they either appear to be old, or are from suspect sources.

    >> I'm not sure about the protocol, but the Xlib API reference can be
    >> found athttp://www.xfree.org/current/xlib.pdf. Seems trustworthy
    >> enough for me.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Måns Rullgård
    >> m...@mansr.com

    > Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's very close to the
    > question I have....
    > I got some .txt files from 'ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc'
    > but I can't seem to get them converted properly
    > using *roff, doxygen, text2*, etc.
    >
    > The formatting seems really simple, but I can't
    > find what the format is anywhere on the x.org
    > site.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what the format is, and/or
    > what tools I need to correctly convert the
    > .txt files to pdf | ps | html ???
    >
    > As an aside, I got the widgets.txt and the icccm.txt;
    > the former because I believe it's a reference to the
    > base Xaw functionality (Xt and intrinsics?), and
    > the latter because some (most?) of the FAQs
    > say it's the M in RTFM.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Tarkin

    I'm a little puzzled as to your question. .txt files
    generally contain already-formatted ASCII text.
    Viewing them in Notepad or other such text editor (using
    a monospaced font such as Courier or LucidaTypewriter for
    best results, if the editor supports changing a viewing
    font) is more than sufficient.

    I do see an oddity in
    http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/buffer.txt , which
    apparently lost the ESC part of certain ANSI escape
    sequences ( 4 m or [ 4 m), though. This appears
    to be a bug on their side incurred during conversion.

    Other files may have similar oddities but if so they're
    not nearly as obvious.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    to fix your Windows problems?

  6. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    On Mar 23, 5:59 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:
    > In comp.windows.x, Tarkin
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
    > <772a6b45-9067-4935-ac46-87bf027fe...@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:

    > >> I'm not sure about the protocol, but the Xlib API reference can be
    > >> found athttp://www.xfree.org/current/xlib.pdf. Seems trustworthy
    > >> enough for me.

    > >> --
    > >> Måns Rullgård
    > >> m...@mansr.com

    > > Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's very close to the
    > > question I have....
    > > I got some .txt files from 'ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc'
    > > but I can't seem to get them converted properly
    > > using *roff, doxygen, text2*, etc.

    > > The formatting seems really simple, but I can't
    > > find what the format is anywhere on the x.org
    > > site.

    > > Can anyone tell me what the format is, and/or
    > > what tools I need to correctly convert the
    > > .txt files to pdf | ps | html ???

    > > As an aside, I got the widgets.txt and the icccm.txt;
    > > the former because I believe it's a reference to the
    > > base Xaw functionality (Xt and intrinsics?), and
    > > the latter because some (most?) of the FAQs
    > > say it's the M in RTFM.

    > > TIA,
    > > Tarkin

    > I'm a little puzzled as to your question. .txt files
    > generally contain already-formatted ASCII text.
    > Viewing them in Notepad or other such text editor (using
    > a monospaced font such as Courier or LucidaTypewriter for
    > best results, if the editor supports changing a viewing
    > font) is more than sufficient.
    >
    > I do see an oddity inhttp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/buffer.txt, which
    > apparently lost the ESC part of certain ANSI escape
    > sequences ( 4 m or [ 4 m), though. This appears
    > to be a bug on their side incurred during conversion.
    >
    > Other files may have similar oddities but if so they're
    > not nearly as obvious.
    >
    > --
    > #191, ewi...@earthlink.net
    > Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    > to fix your Windows problems?
    >
    > --

    There are plenty of "0mBlah0m" and "refer to section 4mFoo4m"
    oddities in the xlib.txt alone, which is what made me think
    they were formatted in the first place. It's so jarring (for me),
    that I ended up just grabbing the Xlib.pdf.

    I was using 'less' to read the .txt files (I'm not
    a complete dumbass, and notepad2 is better on 'Doze),
    and the oddities are apparent within the first 512
    or so characters of icccm.txt...which again, leads me
    to the conclusion that they are formatted.

    Does anyone knpw what this format might be? Here's
    the first few lines of icccm.txt:
    (apologies in advance if this looks screwy in your
    newsreader)

    --------8<-----------------------------------------
    1mInter-Client Communication Conventions Manual0m

    1mVersion 2.00m

    1mX Consortium Standard0m

    1mX Version 11, Release 6.9/7.00m
    ------------------>8--------------------------------

    TIA and TTFN,
    Tarkin

    --
    God does not play dice. He plays baccarat with Buddha in Lake Tahoe.

  7. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    In comp.windows.x, Tarkin

    wrote
    on Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
    <3da7a431-d473-44a8-9dc9-9372bbbd1337@m34g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Mar 23, 5:59 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.windows.x, Tarkin
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
    >> <772a6b45-9067-4935-ac46-87bf027fe...@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com>:

    >> > Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's very close to the
    >> > question I have....
    >> > I got some .txt files from 'ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc'
    >> > but I can't seem to get them converted properly
    >> > using *roff, doxygen, text2*, etc.

    >> > The formatting seems really simple, but I can't
    >> > find what the format is anywhere on the x.org
    >> > site.

    >> > Can anyone tell me what the format is, and/or
    >> > what tools I need to correctly convert the
    >> > .txt files to pdf | ps | html ???

    >> > As an aside, I got the widgets.txt and the icccm.txt;
    >> > the former because I believe it's a reference to the
    >> > base Xaw functionality (Xt and intrinsics?), and
    >> > the latter because some (most?) of the FAQs
    >> > say it's the M in RTFM.

    >> > TIA,
    >> > Tarkin

    >> I'm a little puzzled as to your question. .txt files
    >> generally contain already-formatted ASCII text.
    >> Viewing them in Notepad or other such text editor (using
    >> a monospaced font such as Courier or LucidaTypewriter for
    >> best results, if the editor supports changing a viewing
    >> font) is more than sufficient.
    >>
    >> I do see an oddity inhttp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/buffer.txt, which
    >> apparently lost the ESC part of certain ANSI escape
    >> sequences ( 4 m or [ 4 m), though. This appears
    >> to be a bug on their side incurred during conversion.
    >>
    >> Other files may have similar oddities but if so they're
    >> not nearly as obvious.
    >>
    >> --
    >> #191, ewi...@earthlink.net
    >> Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    >> to fix your Windows problems?
    >>
    >> --

    > There are plenty of "0mBlah0m" and "refer to section 4mFoo4m"
    > oddities in the xlib.txt alone, which is what made me think
    > they were formatted in the first place. It's so jarring (for me),
    > that I ended up just grabbing the Xlib.pdf.

    Probably a better solution for purposes of printout. ;-)

    > I was using 'less' to read the .txt files (I'm not
    > a complete dumbass, and notepad2 is better on 'Doze),

    Sorry to imply such.

    > and the oddities are apparent within the first 512
    > or so characters of icccm.txt...which again, leads me
    > to the conclusion that they are formatted.

    Well, if one wants to be pedantic, they are the results of
    a misconfigured/misspecified conversion from something
    along the lines of (probably) ancient .nroff format
    to final printed output, possibly with such niceties as
    text^H^H^H^Htext to embolden the word, text^H^H^H^H____ to
    underline it, and with ANSI escape sequences such as e.g.
    [ 4 m to underline an area, except in this case the
    [ got lost for some reason unknown to me.

    I wish I knew precisely where the specification is.

    For that matter, I wish I knew where the source was for these
    particular files; obviously if one has the .nroff source one
    can reprocess them properly, with any luck.

    > Does anyone knpw what this format might be? Here's
    > the first few lines of icccm.txt:
    > (apologies in advance if this looks screwy in your
    > newsreader)
    >
    > --------8<-----------------------------------------
    > 1mInter-Client Communication Conventions Manual0m
    >
    > 1mVersion 2.00m
    >
    > 1mX Consortium Standard0m
    >
    > 1mX Version 11, Release 6.9/7.00m
    > ------------------>8--------------------------------

    Looks fine as far as it goes. The 1m is another
    artifact along the same lines; in a proper system
    it would be [ 1 m and all following text
    would be boldfaced. [ 0 m or just [ m
    should reset it back to "normal".

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's not the desktop that's
    important, it's the ability to DO something
    with it.

  8. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    On Mar 23, 10:42 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:
    > In comp.windows.x, Tarkin
    >
    > wrote
    > on Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
    > <3da7a431-d473-44a8-9dc9-9372bbbd1...@m34g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>:
    >

    > > On Mar 23, 5:59 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    > > wrote:
    > >> In comp.windows.x, Tarkin
    > >>
    > >> wrote
    > >> on Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:03:44 -0700 (PDT)

    > >> I'm a little puzzled as to your question. .txt files
    > >> generally contain already-formatted ASCII text.
    > >> Viewing them in Notepad or other such text editor (using
    > >> a monospaced font such as Courier or LucidaTypewriter for
    > >> best results, if the editor supports changing a viewing
    > >> font) is more than sufficient.

    > >> I do see an oddity inhttp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/buffer.txt, which
    > >> apparently lost the ESC part of certain ANSI escape
    > >> sequences ( 4 m or [ 4 m), though. This appears
    > >> to be a bug on their side incurred during conversion.

    > >> Other files may have similar oddities but if so they're
    > >> not nearly as obvious.

    > >> --
    > >> #191, ewi...@earthlink.net
    > >> Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    > >> to fix your Windows problems?

    > >> --

    > > There are plenty of "0mBlah0m" and "refer to section 4mFoo4m"
    > > oddities in the xlib.txt alone, which is what made me think
    > > they were formatted in the first place. It's so jarring (for me),
    > > that I ended up just grabbing the Xlib.pdf.

    > Probably a better solution for purposes of printout. ;-)
    >

    > > I was using 'less' to read the .txt files (I'm not
    > > a complete dumbass, and notepad2 is better on 'Doze),

    > Sorry to imply such.

    My apologies, I was too sensitive and grouchy.

    > > and the oddities are apparent within the first 512
    > > or so characters of icccm.txt...which again, leads me
    > > to the conclusion that they are formatted.

    > Well, if one wants to be pedantic, they are the results of
    > a misconfigured/misspecified conversion from something
    > along the lines of (probably) ancient .nroff format
    > to final printed output, possibly with such niceties as
    > text^H^H^H^Htext to embolden the word, text^H^H^H^H____ to
    > underline it, and with ANSI escape sequences such as e.g.
    > [ 4 m to underline an area, except in this case the
    > [ got lost for some reason unknown to me.
    >
    > I wish I knew precisely where the specification is.
    >
    > For that matter, I wish I knew where the source was for these
    > particular files; obviously if one has the .nroff source one
    > can reprocess them properly, with any luck.

    Ditto.

    > > Does anyone knpw what this format might be? Here's
    > > the first few lines of icccm.txt:
    > > (apologies in advance if this looks screwy in your
    > > newsreader)

    > > --------8<-----------------------------------------
    > > 1mInter-Client Communication Conventions Manual0m

    > > 1mVersion 2.00m

    > > 1mX Consortium Standard0m

    > > 1mX Version 11, Release 6.9/7.00m
    > > ------------------>8--------------------------------

    > Looks fine as far as it goes. The 1m is another
    > artifact along the same lines; in a proper system
    > it would be [ 1 m and all following text
    > would be boldfaced. [ 0 m or just [ m
    > should reset it back to "normal".

    Oh, noes, I grok what you're saying now. IIRC, the
    rest of the artifacts are all similar - the
    'ESC' and '[' characters must have been stripped
    out using regualr expressions, but the digits and
    'm' couldn't be, without mangling the text.
    You're patience is appreciated.

    I haven't seen sequences like that since I was
    looking around for ways to clear a terminal
    session from java...the workaround was to write
    the raw characters of a VT100 sequence,
    something like " ESC[2J " or somesuch.

    Oh well, time to fire up VI.

    Thanks, and sorry again to be so touchy.

    TTFN,
    Tarkin

  9. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > I wish I knew precisely where the specification is.
    >
    > For that matter, I wish I knew where the source was for these
    > particular files; obviously if one has the .nroff source one
    > can reprocess them properly, with any luck.

    Get the whole tarball from
    ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/src/doc

    The source files are in /specs in the tarball.

    Steve

  10. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    On Mar 24, 10:15 am, Steven J Masta wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    > > I wish I knew precisely where the specification is.

    > > For that matter, I wish I knew where the source was for these
    > > particular files; obviously if one has the .nroff source one
    > > can reprocess them properly, with any luck.

    > Get the whole tarball fromftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/src/doc
    >
    > The source files are in /specs in the tarball.
    >
    > Steve

    Thank you. Got 'em, processed 'em, and
    have some pdf's to keep me busy.

    Who would have thunk that they put the
    documentation sources in (...)/src ?

    Thanks again all,
    Tarkin

  11. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    In comp.windows.x, Tarkin

    wrote
    on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:12:22 -0700 (PDT)
    <53db0f90-846a-49f9-b50c-13e0152c7168@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Mar 24, 10:15 am, Steven J Masta wrote:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>

    >> > I wish I knew precisely where the specification is.

    >> > For that matter, I wish I knew where the source was for these
    >> > particular files; obviously if one has the .nroff source one
    >> > can reprocess them properly, with any luck.

    >> Get the whole tarball fromftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/src/doc
    >>
    >> The source files are in /specs in the tarball.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Thank you. Got 'em, processed 'em, and
    > have some pdf's to keep me busy.
    >
    > Who would have thunk that they put the
    > documentation sources in (...)/src ?
    >
    > Thanks again all,
    > Tarkin

    Well, it makes perfect sense if they're using nroff.
    gcc takes .c to .o;
    nroff could take .nroff to .txt.

    Or something like that; I'll have to grab the source
    tarball myself to be sure. There's macros involved;
    that much I know.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    It's a question of when.

  12. Re: X protocol and Xlib docs

    On Mar 25, 12:49 am, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:
    > In comp.windows.x, Tarkin
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:12:22 -0700 (PDT)
    > <53db0f90-846a-49f9-b50c-13e0152c7...@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:

    > >> Get the whole tarball fromftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/src/doc

    > >> The source files are in /specs in the tarball.

    > >> Steve

    > > Thank you. Got 'em, processed 'em, and
    > > have some pdf's to keep me busy.

    > > Who would have thunk that they put the
    > > documentation sources in (...)/src ?

    > > Thanks again all,
    > > Tarkin

    > Well, it makes perfect sense if they're using nroff.
    > gcc takes .c to .o;
    > nroff could take .nroff to .txt.
    >
    > Or something like that; I'll have to grab the source
    > tarball myself to be sure. There's macros involved;
    > that much I know.
    >
    > --
    > #191, ewi...@earthlink.net
    > Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    > It's a question of when.
    >
    > --

    I was just goofing. I never thought to look in (...)/src
    for documentation sources, despite, as you pointed out, it
    being a perfectly logical place for it to be. I'm still a
    partial dumbass ;^)

    Have fun with that tarball; I sure did. I got some
    ..PS files, from which I produced .pdfs. The .pdf's
    have, as yet, to make good .html's using pdftohtml,
    but having the docs are huge step forward.

    TTFN,
    Tarkin

+ Reply to Thread