I'm having a strange problem with an X client program causing
dreaded "Xlib: unexpected async reply" errors when displaying
on some, but not all, X servers.

Here are the details. The application is called "texsan", which
is a chemical structure modeling program written in the early 1990s
in a combination of C and Fortran. It was written for VAX/VMS
and SGI Iris. I'm running it on an SGI whose "uname -a" shows
"IRIX bluechex 6.5 10070056 IP32" (bluechex is the hostname).
I have the source code and I can build texsan from scratch.
The link step uses the following libraries:

-lXm -lXt -lX11 -lPW -lm

So far, so good. However, when I run the application so that
it displays on a machine with the standard Centos5,
Fedora Core 8, or Hummingbird Exceed X server, I get a bunch of
"Xlib: unexpected async reply" messages and the client becomes
unresponsive.

What's strange is then when I run the client but display
on a MacOS 10.4.X or 10.5.X machine, the client runs fine.
The same is true when I display on an old Linux machine
running Mandrake 10.0.

I'm not an X programmer so I have no idea what could cause
this. I've googled the error and it seems that this
error message is saying that Xlib is confused, but I don't
see any solutions.

I'm hoping that someone here can give me some advice on
how to attack this problem. I'd be happy to include the
output of the "xdpyinfo" command if it would help.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support