copy/cut/paste - Xwindows

This is a discussion on copy/cut/paste - Xwindows ; Does copy/cut/paste work in X when running apps? If yes, how is it enabled for use with mouse? Thanks....

  1. copy/cut/paste

    Does copy/cut/paste work in X when running apps?
    If yes, how is it enabled for use with mouse?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: copy/cut/paste

    On Feb 7, 12:41 pm, dfeus...@mindspring.com wrote:
    > Does copy/cut/paste work in X when running apps?
    > If yes, how is it enabled for use with mouse?

    copy & paste is a builtin

    To select for copy, highlight the text to be copied. Either
    a) left click at the start of the selection and right click at the
    end, or
    b) left click and drag from start to end of selection

    To paste the selection, place mouse at point of insertion and middle-
    click

  3. Re: copy/cut/paste

    Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > On Feb 7, 12:41 pm, dfeus...@mindspring.com wrote:
    >> Does copy/cut/paste work in X when running apps?
    >> If yes, how is it enabled for use with mouse?

    > copy & paste is a builtin
    >
    > To select for copy, highlight the text to be copied. Either
    > a) left click at the start of the selection and right click at the
    > end, or
    > b) left click and drag from start to end of selection
    >
    > To paste the selection, place mouse at point of insertion and middle-
    > click

    Thanks! How does copy work with a 2-button mouse?

  4. Re: copy/cut/paste

    On Feb 7, 2:46 pm, YANSWBVCG wrote:
    > Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > > On Feb 7, 12:41 pm, dfeus...@mindspring.com wrote:
    > >> Does copy/cut/paste work in X when running apps?
    > >> If yes, how is it enabled for use with mouse?

    > > copy & paste is a builtin

    > > To select for copy, highlight the text to be copied. Either
    > > a) left click at the start of the selection and right click at the
    > > end, or
    > > b) left click and drag from start to end of selection

    > > To paste the selection, place mouse at point of insertion and middle-
    > > click

    > Thanks! How does copy work with a 2-button mouse?

    Assuming that you've configured your X server appropriately,
    simultaneously "clicking" both the left /and/ right mouse button
    should emulate a middle-button click.

    Which X server do you use? If you use either Xorg or XFree86 (or a
    derivative of either), then look for the "Emulate3Buttons" and/or
    "ChordMiddle" option in the mouse "InputDevice" section your config
    file.

    HTH
    --
    Lew

  5. Re: copy/cut/paste

    Lew Pitcher writes:

    > On Feb 7, 2:46 pm, YANSWBVCG wrote:

    >> > copy & paste is a builtin

    >> > To select for copy, highlight the text to be copied. Either
    >> > a) left click at the start of the selection and right click at the
    >> > end, or
    >> > b) left click and drag from start to end of selection

    >> > To paste the selection, place mouse at point of insertion and middle-
    >> > click

    >> Thanks! How does copy work with a 2-button mouse?

    > Assuming that you've configured your X server appropriately,
    > simultaneously "clicking" both the left /and/ right mouse button
    > should emulate a middle-button click.
    >
    > Which X server do you use? If you use either Xorg or XFree86 (or a
    > derivative of either), then look for the "Emulate3Buttons" and/or
    > "ChordMiddle" option in the mouse "InputDevice" section your config
    > file.

    I'd suggest buying a 3-button mouse instead of messing around with
    emulation. They're not exactly expensive.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  6. Re: copy/cut/paste

    On Feb 7, 10:29*am, Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > On Feb 7, 12:41 pm, dfeus...@mindspring.com wrote:
    >
    > > Does copy/cut/paste work in X when running apps?
    > > If yes, how is it enabled for use with mouse?

    > copy & paste is a builtin
    >
    > To select for copy, highlight the text to be copied. Either
    > a) left click at the start of the selection and right click at the
    > end, or
    > b) left click and drag from start to end of selection
    >
    > To paste the selection, place mouse at point of insertion and middle-
    > click

    No, it is not really a built-in. It is the *default* behavior of Text
    and other widgets,
    but can easily be overridden, modified, or denied by the application
    or even the user.
    --
    Fred Kleinschmidt

  7. Re: copy/cut/paste

    M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
    > Lew Pitcher writes:

    >>> Thanks! How does copy work with a 2-button mouse?

    >> Assuming that you've configured your X server appropriately,
    >> simultaneously "clicking" both the left /and/ right mouse button
    >> should emulate a middle-button click.
    >>
    >> Which X server do you use? If you use either Xorg or XFree86 (or a
    >> derivative of either), then look for the "Emulate3Buttons" and/or
    >> "ChordMiddle" option in the mouse "InputDevice" section your config
    >> file.

    > I'd suggest buying a 3-button mouse instead of messing around with
    > emulation. They're not exactly expensive.

    I may do that now that I see how convenient it would be.
    Thanks for the info.

+ Reply to Thread