custom X server configuration - Xwindows

This is a discussion on custom X server configuration - Xwindows ; Hi everybody, Does anybody know if it is possibile to tell the X Server to obtain mouse and keyboard input not from traditional devices (i.e. serial, PS/ 2, USB) but from two pipes, for example '/home/user/mypipes/mousepipe' and '/home/user/mypipes/kbdpipe'? I need ...

  1. custom X server configuration

    Hi everybody,
    Does anybody know if it is possibile to tell the X Server to obtain
    mouse and keyboard input not from traditional devices (i.e. serial, PS/
    2, USB) but from two pipes, for example '/home/user/mypipes/mousepipe'
    and '/home/user/mypipes/kbdpipe'?

    I need this because I have to port to Linux an application that was
    written for another operating system with a custom made version of the
    X server where keyboard and mouse input was obtained from two pipes,
    and I would like to change the software architecture of the
    application itself as least as possible...

    Thank you in advance,

    Luca

  2. Re: custom X server configuration

    On Jan 15, 3:44 am, lc...@libero.it wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    > Does anybody know if it is possibile to tell the X Server to obtain
    > mouse and keyboard input not from traditional devices (i.e. serial, PS/
    > 2, USB) but from two pipes, for example '/home/user/mypipes/mousepipe'
    > and '/home/user/mypipes/kbdpipe'?
    >
    > I need this because I have to port to Linux an application that was
    > written for another operating system with a custom made version of the
    > X server where keyboard and mouse input was obtained from two pipes,
    > and I would like to change the software architecture of the
    > application itself as least as possible...

    Hmmm... does your application read and write directly from the mouse
    and keyboard, or does it accept X mouse and keyboard messages (as per
    a normal X "client" application)?

    If the app uses the client-side of the standard X protocol, then it
    doesn't matter /how/ the X server acquired the mouse and keyboard
    events, as all events are sent via sockets to the X client anyway.
    That's the beauty of separation of X server (where device handling is
    performed) and client (where device-independant application logic is
    performed); the client doesn't know or care how the events were
    generated.

  3. Re: custom X server configuration

    On 15 Gen, 20:14, Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > On Jan 15, 3:44 am, lc...@libero.it wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everybody,
    > > Does anybody know if it is possibile to tell the X Server to obtain
    > > mouse and keyboard input not from traditional devices (i.e. serial, PS/
    > > 2, USB) but from two pipes, for example '/home/user/mypipes/mousepipe'
    > > and '/home/user/mypipes/kbdpipe'?

    > > I need this because I have to port to Linux an application that was
    > > written for another operating system with a custom made version of the
    > > X server where keyboard and mouse input was obtained from two pipes,
    > > and I would like to change the software architecture of the
    > > application itself as least as possible...

    > Hmmm... does your application read and write directly from the mouse
    > and keyboard, or does it accept X mouse and keyboard messages (as per
    > a normal X "client" application)?
    >
    > If the app uses the client-side of the standard X protocol, then it
    > doesn't matter /how/ the X server acquired the mouse and keyboard
    > events, as all events are sent via sockets to the X client anyway.
    > That's the beauty of separation of X server (where device handling is
    > performed) and client (where device-independant application logic is
    > performed); the client doesn't know or care how the events were
    > generated.

    It's difficult to explain; actually, I have to port an embedded
    application that was written for the RTOS VxWorks with a custom
    version of the X server; in this particular HW/SW configuration, the X
    server was configured with a custom configuration file (whose syntax
    is different from the traditional Xorg.conf file) and was told to
    obtain mouse and keyboard input from two named pipes...There was a
    server side of the application that was responsible for obtaining data
    transmitted from two input devices (namely a multifunctional keyboard
    and a trackball) and sending ad hoc messages to these two pipes...The
    client side of the application is a normal X client application...I
    would like to leave this software architecture unchanged if that's
    possible, so I have to find a way in Linux to tell the X server to
    obtain mouse and keyboard input from two pipes...

  4. Re: custom X server configuration

    On Jan 15, 2:49 pm, lc...@libero.it wrote:
    > On 15 Gen, 20:14, Lew Pitcher wrote:
    >

    > > On Jan 15, 3:44 am, lc...@libero.it wrote:

    > > > Hi everybody,
    > > > Does anybody know if it is possibile to tell the X Server to obtain
    > > > mouse and keyboard input not from traditional devices (i.e. serial, PS/
    > > > 2, USB) but from two pipes, for example '/home/user/mypipes/mousepipe'
    > > > and '/home/user/mypipes/kbdpipe'?

    > > > I need this because I have to port to Linux an application that was
    > > > written for another operating system with a custom made version of the
    > > > X server where keyboard and mouse input was obtained from two pipes,
    > > > and I would like to change the software architecture of the
    > > > application itself as least as possible...

    > > Hmmm... does your application read and write directly from the mouse
    > > and keyboard, or does it accept X mouse and keyboard messages (as per
    > > a normal X "client" application)?

    > > If the app uses the client-side of the standard X protocol, then it
    > > doesn't matter /how/ the X server acquired the mouse and keyboard
    > > events, as all events are sent via sockets to the X client anyway.
    > > That's the beauty of separation of X server (where device handling is
    > > performed) and client (where device-independant application logic is
    > > performed); the client doesn't know or care how the events were
    > > generated.

    > It's difficult to explain; actually, I have to port an embedded
    > application that was written for the RTOS VxWorks with a custom
    > version of the X server; in this particular HW/SW configuration, the X
    > server was configured with a custom configuration file (whose syntax
    > is different from the traditional Xorg.conf file) and was told to
    > obtain mouse and keyboard input from two named pipes...There was a
    > server side of the application that was responsible for obtaining data
    > transmitted from two input devices (namely a multifunctional keyboard
    > and a trackball) and sending ad hoc messages to these two pipes...The
    > client side of the application is a normal X client application...I
    > would like to leave this software architecture unchanged if that's
    > possible, so I have to find a way in Linux to tell the X server to
    > obtain mouse and keyboard input from two pipes...

    OK, then it sounds like you are possibly asking the wrong question.

    I think that you should be asking...
    "Which X server (running on Linux) supports my Xyz multifunction
    keyboard and my Abc Trackball?"

    And, sorry, I don't know the answer to either your original question
    (although, I believe that it is possible to write the appropriate
    "drivers" for Xorg to work with named pipes as devices), or the
    "proper" question. It is /likely/ that your multifunction keyboard and
    trackball are supported under the (open source) Xorg or XFree86 X
    servers or on some commercial X server for Linux

+ Reply to Thread