sending mnemonics programmatically - Xwindows

This is a discussion on sending mnemonics programmatically - Xwindows ; Hi everybody, How can I generate programmatically such keyboard events as - for example - Shift+B, Ctrl+Alt+S and so on? Thank you in advance Luca...

  1. sending mnemonics programmatically

    Hi everybody,
    How can I generate programmatically such keyboard events as - for
    example - Shift+B, Ctrl+Alt+S and so on?

    Thank you in advance

    Luca

  2. Re: sending mnemonics programmatically

    look at xwit or xautomation

  3. Re: sending mnemonics programmatically

    lcdll@libero.it wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    > How can I generate programmatically such keyboard events as - for
    > example - Shift+B, Ctrl+Alt+S and so on?
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > Luca

    You can use the XTEST extension if xpdyinfo indicates you have it.

    There are various tools for automation with the X test extension. I
    wrote my own, and it's BSD licensed. I know some companies use it for
    various things, and it's pretty simple, and scriptable with Tcl.
    http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/im...3.6.11.tar.bz2

    TkXext can also record X protocol events to a script.

    Another I know of is called Android. Someone else already mentioned 2
    others in this thread.

    Have fun,

    George

  4. Re: sending mnemonics programmatically

    On Jan 15, 1:37 am, lc...@libero.it wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    > How can I generate programmatically such keyboard events as - for
    > example - Shift+B, Ctrl+Alt+S and so on?

    Use XTest if your display has it. XSendEvent can be used, though it is
    somewhat less effective.

    Here's an example program of mine:

    http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258/code/x11.html

    Look at "scribe" on that page. This program sends keystrokes
    automatically. For combination ones, send shift down, B down, b up,
    shift up, and so on.

    -Ed

    --
    (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)(http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~er258)

    /d{def}def/f{/Times s selectfont}d/s{11}d/r{roll}d f 2/m{moveto}d -1
    r 230 350 m 0 1 179{ 1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 12
    d f pop 235 420 translate 0 0 moveto 1 2 scale show showpage

+ Reply to Thread